• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CHEAP and EASY dinner ideas

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM
  • 8 Replies

We are pretty broke this week and had to cut our food money down a bit. I need some cheap recipes please. There are usually 5 of us sometimes 7 though.

Pregnancy%20ticker

pregnancy week by week

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
c00k3m0nst3r
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM

BUMP!

WhitleyLyles
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM

BUMP

Drippiningirls
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:41 PM

Hot dogs and fries, grilled cheese and tomato soup, and homemade mac and cheese are on my cheap list.

iluv2meow
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM

hot dogs

CallieLynsMommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Mac and cheese is always good. Just get some elbow macaroni, some slices of American cheese, some shredded cheddar cheese, and some bacon. After you boil the noodles, put a layer down in the baking dish, then a layer of American cheese, then another layer of noodles, and a layer of cheddar cheese, top with bacon slices cut up, and add in some milk (I add about 1/4 a cup) to keep it moist. Bake at 375 for about 35-45 minutes (depends upon when the bacon is done). Serve with some green beans on the side! Super easy, pretty cheap, and yummy.

Edit: Forgot to add, turn the bacon over 20 minutes through!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiebrubaker

Follow my blog!

CallieLynsMommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:47 PM

Chicken and noodles is also easy. Boil egg noodles, drain, add in a can and a half of cream of chicken and a half a can of cream of mushroom. Add in some cut up chicken (you can cook it and cut it into chunks or buy it pre-cut/pre-cooked...I like cooking a chicken breast and cutting it up) Drain a can of peas and add in. Keep on the stove until fully heated (usually about 10 minutes on medium for me). Super easy!

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world."- Mahatma Gandhi

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/jamiebrubaker

Follow my blog!

fivepack
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:49 PM

we are a family of 8 so I feel your pain as we are also a 1 income family.  I always buy my meat from the bargain bin.  It usually means making a few trips to the store a week but if I can find a pot roast for 3 bucks then so be it.  spaghetti is also very cheap.  find a recipe that you can make a sauce in bulk and then freeze it in seperate containers to use later.  pasta is so cheap even the whole wheat pasta.  I have learned that if I can't find any good meat deals then we do breakfast for dinner.  I keep alot of fruit on hand and it doesn't have to all be fresh.  Canned fruit is fine.  I don't know if your kids are picky...a few of mine were at first but they got over it quick when they realised there was nothing wlse to eat.  OHHHH an for pizza night...make your own...the Jiffy pizza dough is less than 50 cents a package, sauce a dollar or so, cheese about a $1.50 or so and the toppings.  We do pepperoni and thats the most expensive but we still can get 3 pizzas for about $10.  I have rambled I know but I have alot more ideas so PM me if youre interested.

judybant
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Get one of those 10 pound bags of chicken leg quarters from Walmart. They're like 5 bucks. Cut the thighs from the legs. Cook up 3 cups of rice, and bake off the chicken thighs. Using 3 tablespoons of the pan drippings from the chicken, add 3 tablespoons of flour, and make a roux. Pour in 4 cups of chicken broth. (one of the boxes is 4 cups) whisk continuously until the broth thickens. Add pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, poultry seasoning, etc... to taste. Make a vegetable or two, and serve chicken with rice and gravy, with the veggies for one meal. Cook off the legs the next night, take the meat off the bones, use leftover rice, the chicken meat, and the gravy, add diced veggies, and your liquid of choice to make a gumbo like soup. YOu can thicken it with potato flakes, if it's not as thick as you'd like, Any leftovers of that, you could use to make chicken and biscuits a 3rd night. Total spent on 3 meals would be less than 15 bucks.

When you go to the store, when it comes to meat, check the sales on roasts and steaks, and compare the price to ground beef. Most butchers will grind for free. I got some really nice top round roasts with very little fat on sale for 1.89 a pound, and bought 7 pounds. I kept 2 pounds as roasts, and had them grind up 3 pounds for ground beef, and asked for 2 pounds to be cut up in a "chili cut"... not as small as ground beef, not as big as beef stew meat. That was 3 or 4 meals of beef for less than 14 bucks.

When money is tight, rice and potatoes are your friends! You can stretch a pound of ground beef wayyyyy out by adding red beans, rice, tomato sauce, (I use the cheap spaghetti sauce) and spices to make a generic "red beans and rice" dish that my 7 year old LOVES! I add salsa seasoning to it, and when I get the rice all cooked up well, and add everything else to it, It will EASILY serve 14. (I keep it warm in my crock pot) I put shredded cheese on top, and have sour cream available to dollop on top, and they make rice and bean burritos out of it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)