• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bedtime troubles! Please, any advice would be wonderful!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:13 PM
  • 9 Replies

Any advice, please?

So.. My daughter is 2 and a half. For the last 4 nights she has been giving me a really hard time going to bed. She will fight with me, I mean scream, cry, shake, punch, etc. I tried everything, CIO, talking to her calmly without emotions, holding her, singing to her... and so on.

Then around 2-2:30 in the morning she will wake up screaming.. Last night was the worse.. she was up till about 5. She would not let me shut her light out without going into a full blown shaking & screaming fit.

The only thing that really bothers me is she will not talk, just point around her room and grab things.

I hope all that makes sense, it's really hard  to describe. I am just a my breaking point as to what to do with her when it comes to bed time.

Also, she has a bed time routine, that we stick to. She also does not take naps during the day.

Thanks for reading, and any advice would great :)

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Chey_s_Mommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM

BUMP!

Chey_s_Mommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:30 PM

Anyone?

TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:37 PM

A couple of thigns might be going on - - she doesn't take naps - so what time is she going to bed?  It might be that she's overtired and either needs an earlier bedtime or needs a nap during the day.  You say she also wakes up in the middle of the night screaming - -did the bedtime problems start before or after the waking up at night problem?  She could be having nightnares or night terrors (see this link to check out the differences).  That can be caused by lack of sleep, but it can also cause problems going to sleep because the child is scared, and then it turns in to a vicious cycle.  Getting more sleep - somehow - is going to be key to breaking the cycle.  You might want to talk to her Dr. about it.

Chey_s_Mommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM

She was never a big napper. She goes to bed at 8:30-9PM and wakes up any where from 7-8am.

She does have some problems with nightmares and night terrors. The bedtime problems started before the waking up in the middle of the night.

Thanks for replying :)

Quoting TiffanyMarie80:

A couple of thigns might be going on - - she doesn't take naps - so what time is she going to bed?  It might be that she's overtired and either needs an earlier bedtime or needs a nap during the day.  You say she also wakes up in the middle of the night screaming - -did the bedtime problems start before or after the waking up at night problem?  She could be having nightnares or night terrors (see this link to check out the differences).  That can be caused by lack of sleep, but it can also cause problems going to sleep because the child is scared, and then it turns in to a vicious cycle.  Getting more sleep - somehow - is going to be key to breaking the cycle.  You might want to talk to her Dr. about it.

Chey_s_Mommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:23 PM

Bump!

Chey_s_Mommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:52 PM

Pretty please with sugar on top and a cherry (or no cherry)?!?!?!

jrsmama0906
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I did a sticker chart and when he stays in bed for a few nights he gets a small reward like extra play time, extra book, etc. It has worked like a charm and now he gets in bed and stays there...he doesn't get out of bed at all...unless he has a bad dream and comes in and asks me to tuck him back in and say a prayer and give him hugs/kisses. It might not be perfect at first, but maybe give it a try? Or a small prize - like from the 99 cent store after a few days of staying in bed. Some people might not agree...and say that bribing isn't good, but hey, it worked. Best of luck. I know how hard it is. Hang in there.

flipper_28
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:03 PM

sorry mama......my ds would have night terrors (on occasion) but eventually outgrew it....do you live in an older house? it could be where its settling and she may hear different noises and it freaks her out? if that makes sence.....sorry mama, hope it works out.

amayabrianna
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:08 PM

Does she have a night light? My DDs have these butterfly lights (kinda like christmas lights) and will not go to bed with out them on. Sounds like one thing isshe is scared ofthe dark. And you said this hasbeen going on for 4 nights and have tried a few different things but 4 nights isn't enough time to really give anything a chance. Sorry mama, it will get better, hope you get the help you need.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)