• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

In home daycare providers

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:16 PM
  • 13 Replies

I attended training today for first aid and CPR.  I needed the class in order to start my new job at a local preschool.  All the other ladies that were there were in home care providers.  Most of these ladies had a policy that they would administer NO medications whether they were a prescribed medication or over the counter.  That it did not matter because the ladies did not want the liability that went along with administering the meds to the children they watched. 

Is this the norm?  I only ask because I thought that it was interesting. 

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jodyann2
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM

BUMP!

college.mom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:17 PM

Some people are like that, in my state it is the law that I have a doctors note for all medicine, OTC and prescription.

gwebkeijmmm
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I do in-home daycare and there is no way I would give the kids meds. If for some reason it reacted with something they ate or drank, or anything, I would be responsible.

Zoeysmom09
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:19 PM

I will only give meds that are prescribed in the original bottle with the label on it. I will not give tylenol or anything like that

Daruth
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:21 PM

It all depend on why the need meds most meds mean the are sick so why would the even be at day care now for my dd she need inhalers and yes the lady that watchs my dd if something comes up that i need her to has gone to my dd dr with and had them so her exactly how to use and asked for all the papers on it. If i took her to a center they would require two spots for her they see her as a high risk baby and need more attention so two spots are taken for it so i can afford to do that

Love2Bugs
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:22 PM

This. I did mine through military. We even had to have special forms for butt cream and bowder.

Quoting college.mom:

Some people are like that, in my state it is the law that I have a doctors note for all medicine, OTC and prescription.

college.mom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Yup, and we have to have a permission note to put sunscreen on.  I make the parents purchase it for their child so I cannot be liable for any rash they may get from it.

Quoting Love2Bugs:

This. I did mine through military. We even had to have special forms for butt cream and bowder.

Quoting college.mom:

ZanGabeAllysMom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:24 PM

I do not think it is.  I have never had that issue, but if I were in their positions, I would have a form for the parents to fill out.  That gave me directions on how to give it and released me from liability.  I mean some kids need meds a couple times a day, and that time might come when I have them. 

zipandzap
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:25 PM

The biggest reason I ask this is because my ds has asthma and has to have his inhaler with him during the day for his afternoon dosage and the ladies that I was in class with today told me they would turn me down flat because of him having to have the prescribed inhaler for his asthma. 

I was kind of surprised by that but I can fully understand the idea of not wanting to be liable for it also.  What I am saying is that I can see both sides.

college.mom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:26 PM

Most people do not know this, but even if you have a form that they sign that releases you from liability, you can still be sued by the parents and lose if something were to happen because of the medicine you give them.  Which is why it is IMPERATIVE you have childcare insurance when you own a business like this.

Quoting ZanGabeAllysMom:

I do not think it is.  I have never had that issue, but if I were in their positions, I would have a form for the parents to fill out.  That gave me directions on how to give it and released me from liability.  I mean some kids need meds a couple times a day, and that time might come when I have them. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)