• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you find it harder to keep friends now that you're a mom?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:47 PM
  • 95 Replies

It seems that before I ever met DH I had a good amount of friends. Good friends. The type of friends who always had your back & the kind of friends that you went out to movies with, stayed at each other's houses just to talk about boys. And the kind of friends who always understood. Friends you share inside jokes with, etc.  Then after meeting DH (we were only dating at the time), I slowly lost contact with all my friends. I stopped hanging out with them & doing things on weekends. Didn't have no more girls night out, nothing!  Then I got pregnant. And I don't have any friends, and the girl's that I still do keep in contact with are only ones I talk to every "once in awhile" type thing... Only thing closest to a friend I have is my aunt's (they are 25 & 27 w/kids). Its sad. I'm kind of depressed about it.

So do you find it harder to keep friends now that you're a mom?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TheJerseyGirl
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:48 PM

Absolutely. Everyone i know is all over the place in terms of marriages, kids and their ages...it's hard to get together and it's even harder to stay in touch the way you used to.

college.mom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:49 PM

Yup, I think it has a lot to do with my age and where I am in life compared to other people my age.

lovelyy504
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:49 PM

yes! thats why im trying to meet new people, couples & moms who undestand.

kaiki
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:50 PM

If they didn't hang around after I had my little man then fuck em...they weren't good enough to be my friend anyway

I now prefer the quality of my friends rather than the quantity

lapcounter
by Super Mom on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:51 PM
No I have friends now that I have more in common with, either our lifestyles are similar or our children are involved in the same activities, like dance, rodeo, soccer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.tiffypooh.
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:52 PM

I'm a young mom. So none of my friends get it or understand where I am in my life right now. I have one girl I went to school with and still text every now and then, who's pregnant but still doesn't seem the same. Even my aunt's that are the only ones closer to my age when I ask to do something with them and their kids they usually blow me off. :-/

Quoting lovelyy504:

yes! thats why im trying to meet new people, couples & moms who undestand.

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:53 PM

That depends.In ga,there was an issue of having sex with men while their wives were pregnant and friends did that shit to each other so much that the men expected it from their wives' friends.No thanks.I have fingers and a vibrator.

In South carolina,I found the women to be stuck on tanning and getting their nails done and that is not my world either.They ignored their kids .That is not all of SC.That is what I experienced in Charleston.

Here in alabama,everyone gossips about everyone.There will be three people talking in a group and if one goes to get a glass of water,the other two gossip about her.Her kids weren't good enough,her husband was not good enough.

When I was in ventura,most friends I made were long distance and we only talked on the phone and that was the best I had it.

.tiffypooh.
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:53 PM

Its just because we're young and they are moving onto different things, i.e. college, etc. So I understand but still it sucks.

Quoting kaiki:

If they didn't hang around after I had my little man then fuck em...they weren't good enough to be my friend anyway

I now prefer the quality of my friends rather than the quantity

Chey_s_Mommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:54 PM

Yes. I find it hard to keep friends now that I am a mom, but my DD is 2 and a half, so I am used to it know. :)

stevens_mom2008
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 6:55 PM

yep most of the people i know dont have kids, so they dont even think to invite me along.... not tryin to make this a pity response. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)