• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What age to let child bathe alone...?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:46 PM
  • 21 Replies
My son, who is three...always says he doesn't want me in the bathroom while he takes a bath. But I feel like he is just to little to bathe alone. I usually bring a magazine, a load of laundry, make a shopping list...whatever I can do, while he is taking a bath. I just sit near him and keep my eye out. But never leave the room. Both my mother in law, and own mother think its crazy that I still stay in there with him. They say leave the bathroom door open and keep my ear out...I don't know. Seems to young. So I wanted advice on what you moms do, without a debate. I know I can be over protective...so advice helps sometime =)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lightoftheworld
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM

I would probably let my 4 year old do it alone.  Currently I bathe all my girls together (4,3,1).  But when I pull the 1yr old out, I will take her to another room and let the 3yr old and 4yr old stay in the tub until I am finished dressing the baby.  I figure that if one of them went under, the other would call for help. 

nemiller
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:48 PM

my son is 2-1/2 (will be 3 in december) and i'm not comfortable with leaving him in the bathroom alone.  i have no idea when i'll feel comfortable leaving him alone, but i certainly won't be pressured into it.

sherriewlk
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Bump....any one else?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
82ndairbornewif
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:14 PM
My 5 year old bathes alone w the door open, my 3 year old eh not so much I tend to clean up the sink or sort laundry while he's in
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
klianemcb2
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:31 PM

they both have been for a long time but they've always taken baths together, they're 8 and 4

Stevensmomma
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:24 PM

My ds is 2 i will not leave him prb till hes five with the door open hes just a crazy lil guy and i never know what he will do next

MKSmom09
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:26 PM

He is too little to leave alone in the tub for more than just a minute. My oldest is 7 and I have only started letting him bathe alone in the last year

mommas3cubs
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM

My sons started at 4, with us checking in on them.

Bam_Bam
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:27 PM
My 3yo bathes alone unless him and my 5yo want to get in together. When he is alone I leave the door open. I let them close it when they both are in to keep the baby out. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
xXxLillithxXx
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:29 PM

Kadens 2 1/12. I let him bathe alone for the most part I do all the cleaning and let him play in the tub but he doesn't get much water and he already swims almost without help and knows how to hold his breath and blow bubbles I do not worry about him at all but I guess some moms would call me crazy for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)