Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would this piss you off or am I being unreasonable? Long

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM
  • 19 Replies

My husband called this evening and I was telling him about our day. He is out of town this weekend. Well I was telling him how we walked up to our mailbox (we have community mailboxes at the entrance to our subdivision) to drop a netflix movie in the mail and checked the mail. He asked if he got anything in the mail and I told him that it was all for me. He asked what I got. I told him I got some more birthday cards and that a few had money/gift cards in them.

I was saying that I was thinking that I now have enough money to get a game I really want for my Wii that I got yesterday for my birthday. He basically told me that I was being spoiled and we should save that money for when we really need it. Then he went on to say that we are cutting it close with the bills this month because he paid for 1/2 the Wii (it was my birthday gift from him) the other 1/2 of the Wii came out of birthday money my dad sent me. My husband said I should think about that before I go spend money on things we don't need. I replied to him that it's my birthday money and I should get to use it on things I want instead of needs, since I never buy things I want I only ever buy things we need.

And I should add that my husband says we are broke but we have about $400 left from this check after paying all the bills (including groceries) for the month and buying the Wii. My husband will get paid 2 more times before the end of the month so we really are not that broke, we just have to watch what we spend until he gets paid again which is what we always do.

I didn't want to fight with my husband, I had a wonderful birthday yesterday and I don't want to ruin my happiness by fighting with him, so I dropped the subject. If you were in my shoes would you be a little pissed at your husband? Or am I being unreasonable thinking that my birthday money should be used to buy things that I want, not things that our family needs? I'm sorry it's so long I just wanted to get other's opinions on this and since I refuse to bring anyone who knows us into this I came here.

I guess I need to add this in here again. MY FAMILY DOES NOT NEED ANYTHING. We have paid all the bills for the month and still have money left over, more than enough money to get us by for a week and a half. I NEVER buy myself anything. This is the first time in 5 years that I have gotten what I wanted instead of using my birthday or christmas money to buy things my husband wants. I guess I just feel that the money is a gift to me and I should get to enjoy it.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
amayabrianna
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:04 PM

I understand how you feel but my families needs come before my wants.

Sahm.I.am
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM

So you did get the wii, yay! Did it come with the sports pack game? It is your birthday money to do with as you please. You can buy the game with the gift card unless it's store specific and you can decide if you want to save the rest of the money or not.

kemmerer411
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:05 PM
Well I would be upset to if I were you. But that's something my hubby would say. I typically use half the money to buy myself something and half for family needs...bills, food, diapers... otherwise I feel guilty.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
iansusie
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:06 PM

I guess since I barely ever get any thing for myself, I would say save the money and wait and see if something important comes up but that is just me... I guess it is ok to spend it on yourself, though, if people would have bought gifts instead of sending money then that would be that...

kiernansmom08
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:07 PM

I understand why you're upset, but I would never have wanted to spend the money, I don't buy things for myself and if I would have gotten a birthday present of any kind, it only would have made me feel more guilty and I definitely would not spend the money on myself.

deek3579
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:08 PM

I would be upset.  I kinda know what you are feeling. This last winter I told DH I wanted to go on a vacation for my birthday to Chicago to go to the aquarium and do other sight seeing and he was all fine with it but now my birthday is a little over a month away and a couple weeks ago he told me that we couldn't afford to go now because he has to pay for his car to get finished painted.... I was soooo looking forward to it. So I feel ya!

thisloveofmine
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM

I would be upset, too.

allsolittle
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:09 PM
I'd spend it. 400 bucks after everything is paid is not broke. I'm broke.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tomatoqueen
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM

If I were in your shoes, I would hold off on buying new things and make sure the obligations were met for the month because you never know when an emergency will happen. I guess it is because I always think of things the family needs before thinking of what I need.

mom2acutiepie
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:10 PM

Yes, my families needs come before my wants and if my family needed something then I would get it in a heartbeat. But my family doesn't need anything the only thing we may need is gas for the next 2 weeks and that won't even cost us $100, let alone $400.

Quoting amayabrianna:

I understand how you feel but my families needs come before my wants.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)