Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lump or duct on left breast.

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:22 PM
  • 18 Replies

Can it be breast cancer?

I have family history of it,my grandma died from it. I went in to get an exam done and she said I had a milk duct on my left breast right above the areola. She told me not to worry and to just get an ultrasound to make sure it wasn't breast cancer. I don't have any pain and did not notice this duct. I'm worrying and not sure what it could be. I have an ultrasound on the 19th to see what it is. My milk never came in when I had my son, nor has it came at all. She also said that it looked like an engorgement.

Has anyone had this? or heard of it? I'm just worrying too much. I'd like positive comments, to cheer me up.

thanks for your opinions.

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SWGA_Mommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Does it feel hard?  I had a hard lump in my breast a few years ago, it was growing so they removed it and it was just a cyst.  I hope everything turns out fine for you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Navymommy18
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:27 PM

It felt a little hard, its hard to remember.

Quoting SWGA_Mommy:

Does it feel hard?  I had a hard lump in my breast a few years ago, it was growing so they removed it and it was just a cyst.  I hope everything turns out fine for you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Navymommy18
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:29 PM

BUMP!

snoopy21276
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:40 PM

try doing warm compresses ( like a warm washcloth) then massage.. and repeat for a few hours if it is a duct with milk in it that would resolve the issue.. I had a blocked duct after each of my kids were born.. Also call the dr and adress your concerns! Good luck!

SassyPainter
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:59 PM

Most lumps are not cancer.  If you drink a lot of caffeine, you should cut down.

babyfat5
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:06 PM

I had this:

A galactocele is a cystic tumor containing milk or a milky substance that is usually located in the mammary glands. It is caused by a protein plug that blocks off the outlet. Galactoceles are benign and are not a cause for concern. Once lactation has ended the cyst will resolve on its own without intervention. A galactocele does not cause infection as the milk within is sterile and has no outlet for which to become contaminated. Attempts to drain the cyst are unsuccessful because the protein plug remains intact and milk production continues.

It was diagnoses by an u/s the surgeon I was referred to by my ob wanted to do a needle biopsy and I spoke to my ob/gyn who told me to leave it alone if it isn't infected and causing problems or it will get worse. Sure enough when I finished nursing it went away and I haven't had a lump there again.

Get an u/s make sure that is what it is and then leave it alone! It will go away on its own.

Navymommy18
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 12:29 AM

Thanks ladies.

DigiScrapperMom
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 1:59 AM

I had a lump like that.  Went in for a routine yearly exam and the Dr found it.  I was really freaked out because my grandma had breast cancer twice.  The Dr said there was only  5% of women my age get breast cancer, but I was like hey somebody has to make up that 5%.   I had an ultrasound and a mammogram and they didn't see anything so my Dr sent me to a surgeon who "drained" it with a needle and syringe and said since it was clear it was probably just a cyst and told me to come back if it was still there in 2 months.  It was still there so I had surgery to remove it.  It was not cancer, just a cyst.  After my surgery several people told me they had they same thing happen.  Good luck!  Hopefully yours is nothing serious too! ((hugs))

Stephaniel28
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 2:00 AM

My doc told me that if there is a lump on one breast that the other one should have a lump in the same spot.  Hope that helps in some way :)

DJT721
by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 8:31 AM

I was searching on info for the same issue.  I have an 11 week old son.  My breasts have been lumpy sice pregnancy. I think one is a bit harder than the others.  I however just felt one in the same spot on the other breast.  They are ay the same place you describe.  I did not breastfeed either.  I has a fibroadenoma removed 3 years ago. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)