• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I HAVE to feed my baby formula!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:30 PM
  • 83 Replies

My son is 3 weeks old and all of a sudden I quit producing milk!

For awhile I had an outrageous amount, i was feeding him every 2 hrs or so and pumping up to 6 oz! My dr said i could slow milk production down by not pumping as much at a time... so i did that and good bye milk.

I talked to her again and she said to increase feed him on both sides then pump for a few minutes on each side right after to tell my body he needs more but its not working. Ive had maybe 2 oz in the past two days!

Im so upset that I have to start feeding my little one formula... i feel like a terrible parent, i FF my first but not until he was around 3 months and i had to go back to work.

Anyone have any tips on increasing or hell just anything to make me feel like not such a crappy mom :(

Wife to Matt and Momma 2 1/2 yr old Latham James and our newest addition Lane Jason born in July!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet.lil.mama
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM

the less you pump the less you will produce, try to increase pumping...theres also some kind of tea or something...don't feel bad! i only bf 3 months. i got mastitis and i said F it, it was so painful! and he never latched, i pumped 3 months straight!

mrs.phillips123
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM

BUMP!

redhead-bedhead
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:34 PM

check out the breastfeeding moms group. 

CAMKsMom

A terrible mom would let their baby cry and starve.  Cheer up because you aren't that mom.

EDIT:  I don't want the CIO's to hate me so let me rephrase....A terrible mom would let their baby starve and get sick or die.  Cheer up because you aren't that mom.

mrs.phillips123

thanks, ill keep trying but so far its to no avail. ive been trying all day and only have less than an ounce....

i still have some frozen that i stocked up with but only about enough to last him through the night.

Quoting sweet.lil.mama:

the less you pump the less you will produce, try to increase pumping...theres also some kind of tea or something...don't feel bad! i only bf 3 months. i got mastitis and i said F it, it was so painful! and he never latched, i pumped 3 months straight!

Wife to Matt and Momma 2 1/2 yr old Latham James and our newest addition Lane Jason born in July!

Newtons06
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM
I had the same problem but different reason. Good luck. Here's a BUMP
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrs.phillips123
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Lol., thank you :)

Quoting CAMKsMom:

A terrible mom would let their baby cry and starve.  Cheer up because you aren't that mom.

TiffanyMarie80
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM

Do NOT assume that youa re not producing milk just because you are not responding to a pump!!!!  :)

Questions to ask yourself: how many wet diapers is baby having in a 24 hour period?  If the answer is at least 6-8, then you are producing enough - period. 

A lot of women have trouble pumping, and even for a woman who responds well to a pump, most can only get 1-2 ounces total from both sides at any given time.  Pumps are not as efficient as babies at remiving milk, and pumping output does NOT indicate anything about your milk supply.  Many women can pump a lot when their milk first comes in because there is SO much of it, but once your supply starts evening out, that is no longer the case.  Nothing to be worried about, and not a reason to start using formula.

mrs.phillips123
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM

good idea, thanks!

Quoting redhead-bedhead:

check out the breastfeeding moms group. 

Stamatina79
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM

You are wonderful for trying to breast feed.  Try Mothers Milk Tea.  You can get it from a health food store.  Also... Please dont freak out about how much milk you are able to pump out. Your baby is much more effective at removing milk from your breast.  Increase your feedings from your breast or pumping so that every hour you are getting stimulation.  Make sure you eat, drink, and rest.  Dont stress out too much or it will interfere with your milk let down.  Im a CLC so if there are any questions or if you need support Message me.  Im happy to help.  You are a wonderful mother who is doing the best you can for your baby. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)