Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pack a lunch or school lunch?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM
  • 11 Replies
Which one do you do for your child and why??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nemiller
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:33 PM

i'll pack lunches unless the school actually serves healthy food.  and even outside the healthy issue, i remember school food... it was often cold and unappetizing.

ZanGabeAllysMom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:34 PM

School lunch.  Because most of the time they get there and want what is served instead of what I can pack.  

The lunch here is great though. You get a choice of 2 entrees and then like 4 sides... fruit and veggies and starches and stuff... 4 of them, and then juice and milk if you want both. OH And a dessert.  The lunches here are good and follow guidelines and the food groups.   

Healthier than anything I would be able to throw together for them lmao

Mommy_Jenx3
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:35 PM

I pack him a lunch. More healthy options that way. (although I eat with him some days, & the school here has pretty good food) Once every few weeks or so he'll want pizza or something else at school.

DS #1: 10/8/02

DS #2: 2/22/06

DD: 4/4/09 (surprising us @ 36 weeks, 6 days)

AutymsMommy
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM

We will be packing Autym's lunches. She may buy lunch on the occasional Pizza day.

The school lunches may be healthy, but they are void of flavor. I can pack her a lunch that is both nutritious AND yummy. With that said, she is also on a high cal / high carb, protein diet because she is underweight. The school lunches cater more to the low-fat crowd.

I am a Private School sending, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Homework Helping, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Academic pushing Mother. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it raising my child - I will do that, Thank You. I believe that a woman's place is in the home taking care of her house, children and husband. My husband is head of my home. I am a proud Roman Catholic, as is my husband.             Aimee

LancesMom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:53 PM

I have done both. They would publish the menu by the month and we would decide what days to bring a lunch!

DigiScrapperMom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 9:59 PM

We do a little of both.  My daughter is a PBJ girl and it's a lot cheaper for me to make her a sandwich and send it with her than to pay $2 for one at the school.  But sometimes I have her eat school lunch so she can get a variety of foods or sometimes I send something different.  And sometimes she wants to eat cold lunch one day and school lunch another because she wants to sit by certain friends since her school has separate tables for cold lunch and school lunch.

kayandjsmom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM

My daughter is going in to K and I talked to her about it. I will be reading the menu at the beginning of the week, and she can choose one day to eat at school, the rest of the days I will pack a lunch. They don't have very healthy lunches at schools.

raven1114
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:27 PM

Quoting DigiScrapperMom:

We do a little of both.  My daughter is a PBJ girl and it's a lot cheaper for me to make her a sandwich and send it with her than to pay $2 for one at the school.  But sometimes I have her eat school lunch so she can get a variety of foods or sometimes I send something different.  And sometimes she wants to eat cold lunch one day and school lunch another because she wants to sit by certain friends since her school has separate tables for cold lunch and school lunch.

why do they have seperate tables?

bubbasmom0917
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM

packing..last year bubba would come home starving. i asked him one day if he was eating and he said no. i asked him why and he said he didn't know what half the stuff was. i started packing his lunch and he would have his little snack after school and then supper. he was in "K" last year

sharonrena
by Silver Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:29 PM

We almost always pack lunches unless it is pizza day.  The school orders out pizza from a local pizza place that makes the pizzas and then the school cooks them.  That is the only day that my boys will eat at the cafeteria. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)