Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Military members with cars registered in a different state than you live...got a question!!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM
  • 16 Replies

We have a car registered in Texas, we are living in Virginia, Dh's home of record is Michigan. Virginia is stupid and we don't want to pay a million dollars (not really but it will be A LOT) registering it here (plus there is no way our car will pass inspection in VA). How do we go about keeping it registered in Texas? How would we handle the inspection (Texas requires an inspection to be done too)? Can we even keep it registered in Texas because that isn't DH's home of record??

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Kenzismommy09
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:05 PM

You can only get it registered in your home of Record. You have to get a Military Affidavit from the tag office and another forum as well.

NattysMommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM

Boooo! LoL ok, thank you very much. I was pretty sure we wouldn't be able to do it!

bubbasmom0917
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:10 PM

you can keep it register in texas. are you talking about tags?

NattysMommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Yes, the license plates expire this month along with the inspection.

Quoting bubbasmom0917:

DawnPratt23
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM
Hubbys hor is NY, I kept my registration in NM until grandma passed away last yr, then we transferred it to ny because ot was cheaper. There usually waivers for inspections, call tx ask them about their rules for military. NM didn't have issues with dh not being a resident of NM, just as long as they had their money
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bubbasmom0917
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:16 PM

you can call the tag office in tx and get a tag sticker. you pay over the phone or send a check. you can get it registered in your hubbys home state. we have had cars registered in LA,OK, and CA. did tx send a reminder?

Quoting NattysMommy:

Yes, the license plates expire this month along with the inspection.

Quoting bubbasmom0917:

bubbasmom0917
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM

you do know a tag is cheap for military? we pay 25.00 for a tag in oklahoma, but has always been cheap everywhere else.

CAarmywife
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM

we just pay the renewal. my dh vehicle has been registered in ok and that is not his home of record and he had lived in ny, cali since then. he then had one from cali because he bought a new one and would have just kept it reg there but it was soooooo much cheaper to have it registered through AR and we will probably have all 3 of our vehicles registered in this state before we move (all our vehicles are registered in different states. plus a trailer that is registered in a 4th state).

ZanGabeAllysMom
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:21 PM

He could... ours is still in Jersey and will be until December when all of it goes out of date.   

I would say go online and pay the fee to re-register it. As far as the inspection goes... the only way I see it getting done is going there to get an inspection. lol  Thats actually why we will be switching ours to Illinois in Dec.  The tags for jersey doesnt die, but the inspection does. 

NattysMommy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:23 PM

What do you do about a valid inspection sticker though?? && We have to pay just as much as non-military members do....and it is kind of a lot :/ don't know how you got your registration done cheaper. Oh and yes, Texas sent the reminder paperwork and info to pay by mail.

Quoting bubbasmom0917:

you do know a tag is cheap for military? we pay 25.00 for a tag in oklahoma, but has always been cheap everywhere else.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)