• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Restaurant help

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:51 PM
  • 13 Replies

My friend and I are looking into the idea of trying to open up our own restaurant. I need ideas if you were to go to a nice upscale restaurant what would you want to see on the menu? We have some things in mind but we want other ideas as well... I'm lookiing for appetizers, meals, sides, desserts... If you can think of it tell me even drinks :)

Thank you

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:52 PM

All i can think of is just keep all the items on same type of style.. Dont do italian, french, asian, etc all on same menu.   Depending what kind of food you are wanting to feature there are alot of options.

mommytohuddy
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:53 PM

Good luck on this adventure. I am not sure how much you know about it, but it is a ton of work. my husband is a general manager and has been through the process twice now. He just recently helped open a new one about a month ago. From what I have learned from him, before you start planning a menu, determine what your kitchen can handle. How many employees you want to have. How much you can spend on equipment? As far as the menu goes, I would choose something that is going to be new for the area. Create a niche for your restaurant.

maybaby08
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:56 PM

I agree with this.

Plus, what type of food do you like to cook? The menu should be YOURS not what people want otherwise the food will lack the inspiration and people can taste that. Just being honest (I'm a chef too)

Quoting mommytohuddy:

Good luck on this adventure. I am not sure how much you know about it, but it is a ton of work. my husband is a general manager and has been through the process twice now. He just recently helped open a new one about a month ago. From what I have learned from him, before you start planning a menu, determine what your kitchen can handle. How many employees you want to have. How much you can spend on equipment? As far as the menu goes, I would choose something that is going to be new for the area. Create a niche for your restaurant.

Yes we CAN and Yes we DID!!!!

Photobucket

Mommy4two
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:07 PM

The type of restaurant we are wanting to open up will be located downtown Orlando or Daytona Beach.... We are just starting to really look into this, the theme would be upper class, were thinking either 18 or 21 and up, for we are thinking about making it a sex themed restaurant ... nothing insanely risque and NO NUDITY AT ALL!!! We have the ideas in our head, and from what we're seeing there isn't anything like this.. And lets face it there are a lot of freaks out there lol "in a good way " :-D ...  We're looking for ideas so we have plenty to play with and to figure out what works great for us... Plus I plan on hiring chefs it's going to be hard to run the restaurant and cook all the time.

maybaby08
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:14 PM

That's a great concept for that area, I grew up around there so I totally see what clientele you are after :) What happened to do the old downtown disney property? I remember it closed but I don't remember what they were planning on doing with it. That would be a fun area if they revamp it! Daytona would have more of a seasonal crowd I would think.

Of course you're going to have to hire chefs, everyone does, but you have to create the menu for them to cook.

RLSMOM59
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:19 PM

The Orlando demographic is family so the sex theme may not fly. Do your research becasue you will find all types of resturants serving all types of food. Winter Park is too expensive, downtown Orlando is a resturant on just about every corner. Start visiting different areas to get better ideas. Oh, my capstone for my master degree was opening a resturant in the Orlando area. GL

Quoting Mommy4two:

The type of restaurant we are wanting to open up will be located downtown Orlando or Daytona Beach.... We are just starting to really look into this, the theme would be upper class, were thinking either 18 or 21 and up, for we are thinking about making it a sex themed restaurant ... nothing insanely risque and NO NUDITY AT ALL!!! We have the ideas in our head, and from what we're seeing there isn't anything like this.. And lets face it there are a lot of freaks out there lol "in a good way " :-D ...  We're looking for ideas so we have plenty to play with and to figure out what works great for us... Plus I plan on hiring chefs it's going to be hard to run the restaurant and cook all the time.

veganmommy04
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:27 PM

honestly my biggest issue is finding a resturaunt that has at least one or two good vegan friendly items.  if i can find a place that is vegan friendly and willing to accomadate me i am happy

Joeysmom6
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:32 PM
Hm..... I'm in Orlando and I can tell you that there is definitly nothing like that in the Orlando area. I would probably do 18 and up (instead of 21) and as far as menu goes...... I think honestly I would do Italian. Its so hard to find a good Italian place around here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sica_Belle
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:34 PM
Also try to make sure you don't try to put too many items on your menu and clutter it up. Keep it sweet and simple.

Quoting frndlyfn:

All i can think of is just keep all the items on same type of style.. Dont do italian, french, asian, etc all on same menu.   Depending what kind of food you are wanting to feature there are alot of options.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:36 PM

Just you know upscale isn't a theme. Sex club is....but I don't know if Orlando would be the smartest venture.

Are you a cook? what do you cook?

You ned to decide what you want to serve...Italian, American Fare, Indian....you need something to base the menu around.

Do you work in the restaurant business? what types of restaurants do you work in?

Quoting Mommy4two:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)