• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gisele Bendchen makes comment on BF ... i can totally see A LOT of mommas from here making this comment! LOL

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM
  • 28 Replies

Gisele Bundchen: Breastfeeding should be mandatory!

Sarah CoffeySarah Coffey RSS Feed
Aug 4th 2010 at 6:00AM
Text SizeAAA

Filed under: In the News

Just what women need, a supermodel ordering them to breastfeed.

Gisele Bundchen, wife of Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, attributes her lightening-speed return to her super svelte form to breastfeeding her son Benjamin.

"I think breastfeeding really helped me keep my figure," the supermodel tells Harper's Bazaar.

Gisele says she believes breastfeeding should be a law. "I think there should be a worldwide law, in my opinion, that mothers should breastfeed their babies for six months."

She continues, "Some people here (in the US) think they don't have to breastfeed, and I think 'Are you going to give chemical food to your child when they are so little?'"

How much does breastfeeding save versus formula? Obviously, the breastfeeding in and of itself is free. But what if you want or need to go back to work and are forced to pump? Then it gets a little more expensive. According to breastfeeding.com, when you add up the cost of a breast pump, nursing bras and other essentials, breastfeeding an infant for 8 months totals around $544 compared to $592 for formula during the same time period.

There's also this to consider: If most new moms breastfed their babies for the first six months of life, it would save nearly 1,000 lives and billions of dollars each year, according to a Pediatrics journal study.

See full article from WalletPop: http://srph.it/aXWJNv

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SnglNaturalMama
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:05 PM

I agree that every mother should breastfeed but there should be NO laws deciding what anyone does with their body.

.thickie.thick.
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:08 PM

I think mommas should feed their kids however they want. No law to MAKE any momma feed them this or that way.

Im watching TV now & they said she also said that mothers shouldn't have a choice they should be FORCED to feed THAT way and THAT way only. That's so sad.

happymama0609
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM

You didnt know that this is her first baby and she knows everything about parenting! Shoot, my son is our first and is 14 months and I am still learning lol. Supposedly she has said other things like natural birth should be the only way and things like that. Not sure how true it is though because it was on one of them gossip shows.

Bennett121
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM

I think breast feeding is wonderful, I also think that in our society it is akward for a lot of young mothers. It needs to be made the "norm" so more women would feel it is just something you do. Nothing to consider, it just happens. KWIM?

I also think if there were more adds for products related to bf then more women would lean toward it more. As it is, usually what you see is formula adds.

Passing a law is ridiculous. There are women who cannot or should not bf.

mommynoble
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:10 PM

I think breastfeeding is something that every momma should do if they can but i dont think there needs to be a law forcing you to.

MommaGreenhalge
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:11 PM

I'm just wondering where they're getting their prices.  I've only spent about forty bucks for nursing bras and tanks, and the pump I borrowed from my MIL cost about $250.  Also, why only BF for eight months?  That's past teeth for most kids, and still too early for cow's milk.

Also, I saw nowhere where she said it should be mandatory, only that she couldn't believe people would feed their kids chemicals so early in life when they have that option.  A sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with.  Excluding those who medically couldn't BF, of course. 

Some of us honestly just don't understand using formula when you don't have to.  Is that really something to get upset over?

Bennett121
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Quoting happymama0609:

You didnt know that this is her first baby and she knows everything about parenting! Shoot, my son is our first and is 14 months and I am still learning lol. Supposedly she has said other things like natural birth should be the only way and things like that. Not sure how true it is though because it was on one of them gossip shows.

She sounds like an idiot to me then. (if she has made both these comments)

BTW: I wonder what she means by "natural" No pain meds? That would not go over well! LOL!

mommynoble
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:13 PM

i totally agree im a young mom but i was raised that you breastfeed and thats it. im always kinda surprised when i see other moms that dont even really consider breastfeeding just because they dont want to.

Quoting Bennett121:

I think breast feeding is wonderful, I also think that in our society it is akward for a lot of young mothers. It needs to be made the "norm" so more women would feel it is just something you do. Nothing to consider, it just happens. KWIM?

I also think if there were more adds for products related to bf then more women would lean toward it more. As it is, usually what you see is formula adds.

Passing a law is ridiculous. There are women who cannot or should not bf.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Trinity0820
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:13 PM

sometimes you cant breastfeed

Bennett121
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:14 PM

Quoting MommaGreenhalge:

Also, I saw nowhere where she said it should be mandatory, only that she couldn't believe people would feed their kids chemicals so early in life when they have that option.  A sentiment I wholeheartedly agree with.  Excluding those who medically couldn't BF, of course. 

She said she believes breastfeeding should "be a law" 

as in mandatory.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)