Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

At home Mirena removal-s/o of sorts

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:04 AM
  • 48 Replies
so I read that some insurance companies will not cover the removal of Mirena. I have had such a terrible experience with it, that I want to be done with it. hell, I would even use depo again before getting another hormonal iud. so my question is, have you heard/seen/done a at home removal? you just pull on the strings but im too chicken to do it myself but can't cough up the $$$ to get it removed right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyOf2kids67
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:05 AM

i am on state insurance atm...so my removal was covered so here is a BUMP :)

allycally
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:06 AM

I would go to the er and complain alot like its hurting Im sure they would remove it then you can pay later

lhernandez7208
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:07 AM

i just read in a thread that this girl took hers out, she said it was easier than removing a tampon and zero pain

gfamilyof4
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:07 AM
Lol, bump for you, bc I think you saw that on my thread and I want to know also!!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mindy88
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:09 AM

My midwife told me its dangerous to try to remove it yourself you could tear your uterus if its grown in any. It cost me $75 to have it removed at my midwives office. Call around some people may have lower rates.

mrs.phillips123
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:11 AM
I'm pretty sure if your insurance covered to have it put in they legally have to cover the removal if it's for medical reasons
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.stella.
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:13 AM
wouldn't it tear anyways if the doctor took it out? idk my ob just really pushed it on me after my youngest was born and I stupidly went along w/ it without reasearching first. she said the side effects are usually mild and rare but I've had just about each and every one and not one has been 'mild'
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2many84
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:13 AM

My brother pulled my SILs IUD out.  She didnt even feel it and it didnt cause any issues.  That being said i would definately try to find a Dr to have it removed. 

sadiesmom87
by on Aug. 10, 2010 at 1:17 AM

I called my doctor's office to ask his nurse (my friend) how much it would cost to get it taken out and she told me I can take it out myself. She said all the doc would do is grab the string and pull it out. Same thing I can do at home for free! I haven't done it yet but she said I can so I have to believe that you could too. Have you checked with your local public health clinic or Planned Parenthood office? Sometimes they'll do it for free or super cheap.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN