Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Pregnant women and carnival/fair rides...?

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 8:53 AM
  • 16 Replies

Why CANT I go on them? Im still in my first trimester... and DH says NO way to the carnival except to get fried dough. I'm kind of bumming a little... and I understand that he doesnt want me on the rides...

But WHY am I not allowed on the rides? I dont think I've EVER heard the reason why pregnant women arent supposed to go on the rides!

(And as a side note, my mom went on ALL the fair rides not even 3 weeks before I was born, and I'm ok, LOL!!!)

by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Peytonsmom6308
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2010 at 8:56 AM

I dont know i mean, you'd figure things like the fun house and ferris wheel would be ok. but i think stuff like the tornado that spins fast would bounce the baby around and they dont want to get the blame if the baby gets hurt

JADIEBUG
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Amusement Park Rides During Pregnancy

"My friends and I are planning our annual summer trip to an amusement park. Will it be safe to go on the rides if I'm 17 weeks along in my pregnancy when we go?"

You're already having the ride of your life (it's called pregnancy) — but if that's not enough to satisfy your sense of adventure, here's the scoop on the amusement park variety.  There's no need to skip your day at the park (or at the county fair), but you might want to consider keeping it more chill, less thrill.  Even early in pregnancy, moms-to-be need to exercise a bit of discretion when it comes to rides.  Which means that instead of hopping on those knuckle-whitening, gravity-defying rides that send you zero to 60 in three and a half seconds, you'd be smart to stay in the slow lane (think Dumbo, not Death Mountain).  Or opt for spending more time trying your luck in the arcade (that'll get you out of the hot sun) or game booths (you may come home with a stuffed giraffe for the baby's room!).   

Why the extra caution? Although there isn't a scientific consensus that roller coasters and other high-speed rides are harmful during pregnancy, they haven't been proved completely safe, either. It's wise to avoid their rapid starts and stops and jarring motions, which could put an excessive amount of pressure on your abdomen (not to mention the nauseating rides that could make anyone hurl — something an expectant mom certainly doesn't need any extra help with). That's why parks and fairs display warning signs next to their bolder rides, advising pregnant women (and anyone with back or neck problems) not to ride them. You might even want to pass on some rides that seem relatively slow-paced, such as the Ferris wheel — not only can it have jerky motions, but in the unlikely event it got stuck, you wouldn't want to negotiate an emergency exit from on high with your less-than-perfect balance. In fact, any ride that requires a moving entry or exit, or navigation up or down a lot of steps, could prove tricky these days, no matter how tame it seems.

The bottom line is that you should pay attention to the park's warning signs on thrill rides, but when in doubt about any ride it's best to play it safe and sit it out. There will be plenty of opportunities to enjoy the rides again next year (you'll just need a volunteer to mind the baby for you!) and over and over again a couple years from now with your child. Besides, isn't pregnancy action-packed enough on its own?

By the way, if you already went for a spin on the Corkscrew Coaster, there's no reason to panic — but mention it to your practitioner to be perfectly safe. It's always a good idea to keep him or her "up to speed" on what you've been doing.
JADIEBUG
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:00 AM

Pregnancy and Amusement Parks

For many people, summer is the time to go to an amusement park and enjoy the sun while riding roller coasters and other exciting thrill rides. Unfortunately, for women who are pregnant, many of the activities found at amusement parks are not recommended.

What is the concern with amusement park rides during pregnancy?

Disney, Six Flags, Busch Gardens and even your local state fair all pose warning signs not to ride certain rides during pregnancy. Although there are no studies documenting a problem with these types of rides while you are pregnant, there are no studies documenting that they are safe either.

The concern with roller coasters, thrill rides, and virtual rides during pregnancy is associated with the rapid starts and stops, the jarring forces, and the pressures against the body that occur during these types of rides. This rigorous activity creates additional jarring forces within the uterus that may lead to premature separation of the placenta from the wall of the uterus, which is called placental abruption.

The jarring force from even slow automobile accidents has caused placental abruption, miscarriage and other complications for women who are pregnant even when the trauma is not directly to the uterus. Although the jarring force is usually less with amusement park rides, it still warrants precaution.

Although there are women who have been pregnant and ridden the various thrill rides without complication, it is a risk that should be avoided. Amusement parks are good at identifying rides that pose risks to pregnant women .

The safest course of action is to play it safe and avoid the rides that pose a risk; you can always return to the park and enjoy the rides after you deliver your baby.

southern_momof2
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:01 AM
The slow ones are fine. But, why wold you even want to risk getting on the fast ones?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JADIEBUG
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Concerns with rides and pregnancy

The concern with riding amusement park rides while pregnant is that harm will come to the baby as a result of the ride. This is why many parks will post a warning that pregnant women should not ride - but don't assume a ride is safe, just because there is no sign!

Thrill rides place forces on the body that may cause pregnancy complications such as placental abruption, miscarriage and other serious pregnancy complications. Any woman who is pregnant should not ride any type of thrill ride. Another concern with visiting an amusement park while pregnant is the risk of dehydration, as the prime time for visiting one is in the summer. Be sure to drink plenty of water and stay out of the sun if you do go.

[edit] Types of thrill rides

Pregnant women should avoid all types of thrill rides, no matter if the ride is at a well known park such as Disney World, or a ride at the local carnival. Pregnant women should abide by any warning sign that has been posted and use common sense to not ride a ride that stops or starts quickly or jars the body in any way whether or not a sign is posted.

Thrill rides include:

• Roller coasters
  • Virtual rides
  • Bumper cars
  • Water slides
  • Drop towers
  • Bungee cord rides
  • Any ride that is high speed
  • Spinning rides

<SCRIPT language='JavaScript1.1' SRC="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/N5019.CMT_CountryMusicTel/B4450504.12;abr=!ie;sz=300x250;click=http://www.burstnet.com/ads/ad18457a-map.cgi/BCPG162252.231110.275543/SZ=300X250A/V=2.3S//REDIRURL=;ord=78447?"></SCRIPT>

[edit] Safe activities at amusement parks

So you can't ride any rides, what can you do?

You can still enjoy the day at the park without riding any rides, suggested activities include:

• Arcade - out of the sun
  • Sightseeing train rides
  • Petting zoos
  • Educational exhibits
  • Shows
  • Gardens
  • Movies
  • Shopping
  • Miniature golf
  • Firework displays
MarchMarie
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Quoting southern_momof2:

The slow ones are fine. But, why wold you even want to risk getting on the fast ones?

I wasnt planning on risking the fast ones... But DH doesnt want me on any of the rides at all, and I was just wondering why because it is a common thing  (not letting pregnant women on rides) I had never really thought of/heard of why?

ganfield_c
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:04 AM

i cud see rides like the tilt a whirl and the ferris wheel and that sorta stuff wud be fine. Nothing like the salt n pepper shaker or gravitron lol

JADIEBUG
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:11 AM

That would be one of the worse to go on. The sudden stops and jerks. There is a great risk of placental abruption and apparently miscarriage due to sudden jerks and stops.

Quoting ganfield_c:

i cud see rides like the tilt a whirl and the ferris wheel and that sorta stuff wud be fine. Nothing like the salt n pepper shaker or gravitron lol

JeanEMc
by on Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:16 AM

In your first trimester it's probably not so dangerous.  Is it your first child, though?  I snowmobiled and stuff into my second trimester, and played softball up to my seventh month (I had to stop, because everyone knew I was pregnant, and they had a hard time having fun while being worried about whether or not they would hurt me or knock me over when they tagged me out. {sigh}).

Let your DH have his way - convince him to take you canoing or something by way of apology.  God forbid the child have an extra finger when he or she is born and your DH blame you forever because you went on the Tilt-A-Whirl.

o0gone0o
by Platinum Member on Aug. 13, 2010 at 9:23 AM

Our local tilt a whirl isn't jerky.  The spin always starts off slow then sometimes you get lucky and it picks up.  So maybe the fast spinning could become a problem...

Quoting JADIEBUG:

That would be one of the worse to go on. The sudden stops and jerks. There is a great risk of placental abruption and apparently miscarriage due to sudden jerks and stops.

Quoting ganfield_c:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)