Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it terrible 2's?!!!! I am losing my mind--kinda long

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:15 AM
  • 8 Replies

My son is 2. Ever since he was born he has always cried a lot. Thought it was colic.......but it has just never stopped. 

As soon as I walk in the door the whining and crying begins. My Mom, my husband (dad) and his babysitter all say he is good when I am not there WTH??!!

We took his pacifier away about a week ago. The first few nights were hell. It seems to be a bit better now. But my son only listens to my husband.....when he tells him to go to bed and stop crying...he stops. For me he will scream all night. (sometimes my husband works nights too)

He starts screaming at about 5 am...he wants me to come in there and lay with him. I just dont want to start another bad habit. So I try to comfort him and let him know he needs to sleep, but I am here. I have tried time outs, swatting, everything.

We have other older children in our home. He wakes them up with the constant crying! He hits and throws a fit if he doesnt get what he wants.

The sun isnt even up yet, and I'm in tears. What the heck do I do from here. 

I am a strict parent and have never had any problems with my other kids behavior.

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Idk. :( My dd has started with the incessent whining for everything. :(.. 

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:19 AM

Sounds like terrible two's on steriods, lol. I thought my first child's terrible two's were terrible...until my second came along. They are all different, and my second son cries all the time like you mentioned. He throws fits, didn't sleep through the night for the first time until he was 19 months old, still at 3 wakes up sometimes through the night throwing fits because I won't let him watch tv at 3AM, won't eat anything good for him, insists on buckling his own carseat buckles (though he can't), and constantly screeches at the top of his lungs for any reason in the world. Hopefully it'll get better soon for both of us, lol. I'd just be as consistant as possible and hang in there!

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:20 AM
If you find an answer PLEASE let me know for my 2 year old terror!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:21 AM

That has to be so hard on you, Mama :(  I'm so sorry.  I don't know if that's typical "terrible 2" behavior or not.  My DS is 2 1/2 & doesn't cry like that (although he does definitely throw a good tantrum & cries when he wants to). 

I know that children typically cry when they see their mom b/c once they see her, it dawns on them that she hasn't been there.  DS will be a perfect angel for whomever is watching him, but sometimes the minute I come in the door, he'll start crying.  I know its just b/c he missed me.  So, as irritating as that can be, I try to take it as a compliment.  I wish I had more advice for you :(  I hope that he stops crying so much!

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM

Did I write this post???

Girl I'm with you on that one. My 2 year old is like that as well others were not. I dont know why. I swear he hates me but just loves everyone else. Been like ever since he was born too.

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:29 AM

My 2 yo is the same way.  She won't talk ( very few words)  She will just scream at the top of your lungs for whatever reason or no reason.  And she gets so mad she shakes. And it doesn't matter what punishment you use.  She is my #3 and I raised all the same and never had anything like it.  It's maddening.  Sometimes I won't even go out b/c I don't want to flip the coin on how she will act.   Although I do have to say it is getting a little better.  So I hope she grows out of it soon.  Hope it helps to know some kids are just more strong willed than others lol.

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:35 AM

I have the same problem with my DD. I was unlocking the front door and I could hear her laughing and playing with my husband. The second I turned the door handle she started whining! My husband tells me all the time how good she is until I walk in the door. She doesn't sleep for me either but if my husband were to put her to sleep she's down within minutes. Hang in can only get better!

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 9:46 AM

Thank you ladies for all the support! I am so glad to know I am not alone..........

I was actually scared to even say how I felt like I was going nuts! argggg

We can rarely go anyplace.....he cries the whole time usually. From door to door we were gone 20 minutes at the book store so I could get a book for work, he cried the whole time!

Sometimes, he is a great kid....its like jeckell and hyde

I work from home and sometimes I have to lock myself in the bathroom to return client phone calls.....

I feel bad for my older kids! I bet they are happy to be back in school and away from all the whining!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)