Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4yr old Fever...Mixing Meds?...Help

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:46 AM
  • 10 Replies

My son whos 4 went to the ER tonight with a temp. that reached 103.9.Doc. checked him out and gave him a fever reducer rectaly(he wont take ANY meds orally,he gets so upset he just vomits it back up)Doc suggested i mix his fever reducer with something so hed get it down...His temp is starting to go back up now,and i need to give him some.ANY suggestions on what to mix it with?Doesnt that dilute the medicine?They also suggested him to eat popsicles,i was thinking a cut up popsicle,with a little juice,mixed together with his med...Kinda like a slushi....Anyone know if that be ok?I feel lost!!!In 4yrs hes only had a fever 1 other time and he was 2 and i was able to get it down orally w/out mixing or throwing up....PLEASE ANY SUGGESTIONS????

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TessB
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:54 AM

My 1 year old needed antibiotics and I had a hard time so I put sugar in it, like a 1/4 teaspoon in with it and it made it super sweet and he would take it with less fight.

I know, sugar, but at that point the meds were more important.

HousewifeNina
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:55 AM

if you mix liquid medicine with anything, it'll be fine.  Be sure you use a small amount of the "mixer" tho to be sure he actually drinks all the medicine.

And when he is well, start introducing the liquid Tylenol and liquid ibuprofen to him a little bit at a time, maybe a 1/4 tsp once a day.  Otherwise you are dooming yourself to many trips to the e.r. which is scarier than medicine for most kids!

Good luck.

ajfairleigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:58 AM

I am not sure of diluting problem, the only reason I have ever heard of for not mixing, is because if the little one doesn't finish all it is mixed with then you can't tell how much was really taken.  I would try mixing it with something as close to the flavor as possible, such as grape with a crushed grape popsicle.  May try this with half the dose, if he takes it immediately give him other half same way, that way med is being wasted. And may be a little easier to gauge how much he actually takes.  Good luck, I have a 3 yr old that's the same way.  But the meds she wont take, can't find anything she can't detect it in, nasty tasting antibiotics

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:02 AM

like the others said a very small amount of whatever you mix it in.  I found success in the past with the berry flavored apple sauce.

JenB1983
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:06 AM

Have you tried giving him the chewables instead of liquid meds?

Both of my boys fight taking liquids, but have no problems with the chewable at all.

whenuwish
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:31 AM
Yes like a pp said mix in a tspn with anything sweet that your baby likes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Heartlight617
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:37 AM
I have also tried to mix it with a sip of ginger ale. The ginger taste does help mask it. Pedialyte makes a frozen pop that helps the little one avoid dehydration,by replacing electrolytes while ill.
whenuwish
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:39 AM
I meant mix the appropriate amount of meds in a tspn with what your baby likes..just wanted to clarify.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sarasloveable
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:45 AM
Mix it with something he likes and good luck!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2ljh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:47 AM

What about chewables?  Will he take those rather than the liquid?  You can get rectal acetaminophen (tylenol) at the drug store.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)