Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Called the Sheriff yesterday

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:52 AM
  • 20 Replies

I was driving home from a weekend vacation and was keeping with the flow of traffic when this NYC taxi came flying up behind me.  It was going about 90 and had towels hanging from the windows (blocking out the sun?)  Then I noticed a mom with a child on her lap in the front seat.  Neither of them strapped in.

I thought about not calling, but then I thought if I drove up on that crashed taxi with that child ejected I would NEVER forgive myself.

They said they would check it out.  Not sure if they did butI have to say I was AMAZED at how long I had to wait on HOLD for 911.  THEN was also switched from 911 to the Sheriff because he now controlls that roadway.  I got an automated message for approx the first minute.  What if my car was sinking in a ravine of something? What if a stranger was IN my house.  Just crazy!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.carrie.
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:09 AM

Jeebus. That's crazy!! I hope the child is okay.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:29 AM

BUMP!

FAskew
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:31 AM

It took me about 20 minutes to report a drunk driver the other day.....I think that's unfortunate....

mitch576
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:33 AM

as far as i know...  in taxi's, limos and other chauffeured services...  car seats do not apply {by law} 

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

ForeverInLove
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:38 AM
Wow... That is a long time. I have dispatch in my phone, as well as knowing the number by heart. I don't like to dial 911 except in a real emergency because for about 15 mins afterwards, my phone can't be used.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andreamarie
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:39 AM

I hope the baby is all right.

sounds like this place.

MamaLub
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:48 AM
you need carseats in a cab by their rules. they will even rent you out one in some places. doesn't make sense about the limo. what if someone owned one? that doesn't mean they can drive around never using carseats for their kids?

Quoting mitch576:

as far as i know...  in taxi's, limos and other chauffeured services...  car seats do not apply {by law} 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nyx7
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:09 AM

I tried calling 911 here once to report a kid standing in our parking lot shooting at passing cars w/ a beebee gun (honestly I was more worried about someone shooting back & killing him then him hurting anyone, it was one of those kind of neighborhoods). It rang for 10 minutes!!!!! I finally gave up, yelled @ him to knock it off & go home (which he did). An hour & a half later I got a call, it was 911 calling be back cuz I'd hung up. 911 operator "We received a hang up call from this number, are you okay?" Me "I called you an hour & a half ago, no I'm not okay I'm fucking dead!"

It was then I realized 911 is a crock of shit here & in case of any real emergency its up to me. I learned where the closest fire, police & hospital are so I can save myself, they're not coming!

mitch576
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:11 AM

the cab's rules.. not the law.

the law states that chauffeured services do not require a car seat. this is why tmz had a hissy fit when they filmed a star getting into a limo with her baby {back seat}  they later found out that the law allows such things.

Quoting MamaLub:

you need carseats in a cab by their rules. they will even rent you out one in some places. doesn't make sense about the limo. what if someone owned one? that doesn't mean they can drive around never using carseats for their kids?

Quoting mitch576:

OWNER OF "THE ORIGINAL 30 AND BEYOND GROUP"   ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTIONS
come check out "the cafe" at cafe mom!!!! 

Join us at The Cafe - - Cafe Group Mod

mommymelissa76
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Wow! I cant believe these 911 horror stories! 911 is great here!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)