Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kids, jet lag, and time zone changes...

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:10 AM
  • 12 Replies

Well if you read my other post you would know that I am going from PA to the Seattle area for 5 weeks this month.  Seattle has a 3 hour time zone difference so at their normal bed time 8pm here... its 5pm there.  How do I adjust my kids to the time change?? I REALLY don't want them getting up at like 3-4am because they are usually up at 6 or 7. 

Also, how do we handle jet lag?  Any other tips for the plane ride?  Its going to be just me and my two kids on the plane so no hubs to help. 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:12 AM

BUMP!

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:13 AM

BUMP!

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:19 AM

BUMP!

ctfirsttimemom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:20 AM

I fly alone with my son every other month from the east coast to Seattle (usually home 6 weeks gone 2).  He will only be 2 in October.  It is hard to adjust for the little guys.  Your best bet if you can keep them up to local time 8pm.  If they get a nap on the plane it might work.   My son usually falls asleep about 6pm and is up at 4 the first couple days.   But, like I said, he isn't even 2 yet.  Depending on how unruly you think your kids will be, I would either sit in the middle seat or aisle.  Bring their favorite books, snacks, and if you have it a portable dvd player would probably make a big difference.  My son is too young to sit and watch a movie, especially with headphones, so I always get him a couple new small toys (like a matchbox car) for each plane ride.  Where are you connecting?  If you have one that is really short and one that is alot longer, save the goodies for the long flight.  One time we went through Dulles which was terrible because it was like an hour there and then about 5 across the country from there.   Luckily, that was a later flight and Patrick slept a couple hours on the longer flight!   Also, if your kids have peanut allergies check with the airlines, some of them do still serve peanuts as a snack.  I'd put anything you know they will want on the flight in the small carryons that fit under the seat because if they run out of room in the overheads a bigger bag will get gate checked or your bag will be in a bin at the other end of the plane.

poshkat
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:21 AM

naps naps naps. we just got over jet leg and naps were crucial!

yes please

Forget-me-not
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:23 AM
We have never gone back only forward, when we travelled we just always did our best to adjust on the other end by getting up and going to sleep according to the time zone we were in. 3 hours is not really that bad you adjust in no time ours was an 8 hour difference. I also don't think your jet lag will be to bad either.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ctfirsttimemom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:32 AM

I think it depends on the person, I have more trouble with a 2 or 3 hour change then a 5 or 6 hour change.  Maybe because I'm not expecting it to be bad??  Going out west I don't usually have a problem (other then being exhausted from flying alone with a little guy) but coming home I am always wiped out. 

Quoting Forget-me-not:

We have never gone back only forward, when we travelled we just always did our best to adjust on the other end by getting up and going to sleep according to the time zone we were in. 3 hours is not really that bad you adjust in no time ours was an 8 hour difference. I also don't think your jet lag will be to bad either.

JenB1983
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:38 AM

We moved from Indiana to Germany last November; a six hour time difference.  How we handled it was getting our kiddos up at their normal time the day we flew.  We kept them up alllllllllllll day(our flight wasn't until 6:50pm); running, playing, etc.  They both slept about 80% of the flight to Frankfurt.  We then had a 2 hour bus ride to our base, which they slept on.  LOL  We got settled down into our hotel room around noon, got lunch, and let the boys play for a while.

Then we were all asleep for the night between 4pm(me, I hadn't slept on the flight) and 6 pm(when DH fell asleep).  None of us moved again until 8am.  LOL  But after that, we were all good.  Made sure to get right back into the swing of things; get up, eat, play, lunch, nap, play, dinner, etc.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

I will be flying with a 17mo and a 2y10mo.. my 2yo will have his own seat obviously but I think the 17mo is going to be on my lap.  I will have a sit n stand stroller.  Can I check that at the gate?  I will definitely need to use it though because I have to carry the kids, carry ons and my 2yos car seat.  We are obviously going to check the other car seat and luggage. I have only flown 3 times and never with a child, let alone 2!!!  AHHH!

Quoting ctfirsttimemom:

I fly alone with my son every other month from the east coast to Seattle (usually home 6 weeks gone 2).  He will only be 2 in October.  It is hard to adjust for the little guys.  Your best bet if you can keep them up to local time 8pm.  If they get a nap on the plane it might work.   My son usually falls asleep about 6pm and is up at 4 the first couple days.   But, like I said, he isn't even 2 yet.  Depending on how unruly you think your kids will be, I would either sit in the middle seat or aisle.  Bring their favorite books, snacks, and if you have it a portable dvd player would probably make a big difference.  My son is too young to sit and watch a movie, especially with headphones, so I always get him a couple new small toys (like a matchbox car) for each plane ride.  Where are you connecting?  If you have one that is really short and one that is alot longer, save the goodies for the long flight.  One time we went through Dulles which was terrible because it was like an hour there and then about 5 across the country from there.   Luckily, that was a later flight and Patrick slept a couple hours on the longer flight!   Also, if your kids have peanut allergies check with the airlines, some of them do still serve peanuts as a snack.  I'd put anything you know they will want on the flight in the small carryons that fit under the seat because if they run out of room in the overheads a bigger bag will get gate checked or your bag will be in a bin at the other end of the plane.

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:10 AM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)