Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tell me if I am wrong....

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:21 AM
  • 59 Replies

Today is my son's 2nd day of kindergarten.  The way our school works you drop the kids off in the gym and they sit with their classes and then when the first bell rings they all go together to their classrooms.  OK, fine.  So yesterday I dropped him off, walked him in and made sure he was sitting with his class before I left.  Everything was fine.  My son is 4, he will be 5 next week BTW.  Anyway, today I take him and try to go do the same thing and they stopped me at the door and told me if I want to come in that I have to go get a visitors pass from the office (which is at the complete opposite end of the school) so I kissed him bye on the steps and had to watch from the door as some other lady (not his teacher) took him to sit with his class.  I think this is so wrong!  If the gym door is open and that is the only exit out, they can see me walk in with him (we are talking a regular size gym the kindergarteners sit on the far end) drop him off and walk out.  Why am I not allowed to make sure my son is with his class, and maybe talk to his teacher??  If I would like to do this every morning I have to go to the office, get a visitors pass and go back down there, then I have to go sign back out, all to drop my kid off and make sure he is where he is supposed to be.  I called my mother when all that happened and she said basically "Well, that's the rules and you have to follow them."  I said that I was going to call the principal and ask her about it and my mom flipped her lid saying that I was going to label him as having a problem mother and that everyone was going to hate him and all this other BS.  So I am a problem mother for questioning things I don't think are right?? 

So how does your school work with drop offs?   If you question things at school whether it be rules or whatever else, does that make you a problem mother?  And more importantly am I being a phsyco helicopter parent for wanting to walk my child into school??

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:21 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AirForceWife14
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:24 AM

hm... I would call the principal and ask about it, just to be sure

Maybe they let you go in with him yesterday because it was his first day. but these kids are 5, I don't think his classmates would make fun of him because of his mommy

allurasmamma
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:25 AM

This is how it was with my son's class last year. Kinder. He usually rode the bus, but when he didn't I snuck him through. Some teachers said something, other's did not. That was not a good example of me though...lol. Bad mommy.

Maybe you can talk to the school about this, and they will allow you to do that with him.

greeneyedgrl88
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:25 AM
We always have to sign in, it's a good thing they stopped you, I wouldn't be happy if they were letting anyone and everyone in, without checking you out first!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommymelissa76
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:26 AM

I really wouldn't be that upset. Ultimately, they are doing it for the children's safety. If they are being that way to someone they know is a parent, just think how they react to a stranger or some sort of threat. it may be an inconvenience, but well worth it I think.

sati769leigh

Quoting MommytoNandA:

Today is my son's 2nd day of kindergarten.  The way our school works you drop the kids off in the gym and they sit with their classes and then when the first bell rings they all go together to their classrooms.  OK, fine.  So yesterday I dropped him off, walked him in and made sure he was sitting with his class before I left.  Everything was fine.  My son is 4, he will be 5 next week BTW.  Anyway, today I take him and try to go do the same thing and they stopped me at the door and told me if I want to come in that I have to go get a visitors pass from the office (which is at the complete opposite end of the school) so I kissed him bye on the steps and had to watch from the door as some other lady (not his teacher) took him to sit with his class.  I think this is so wrong!  If the gym door is open and that is the only exit out, they can see me walk in with him (we are talking a regular size gym the kindergarteners sit on the far end) drop him off and walk out.  Why am I not allowed to make sure my son is with his class, and maybe talk to his teacher??  If I would like to do this every morning I have to go to the office, get a visitors pass and go back down there, then I have to go sign back out, all to drop my kid off and make sure he is where he is supposed to be.  I called my mother when all that happened and she said basically "Well, that's the rules and you have to follow them."  I said that I was going to call the principal and ask her about it and my mom flipped her lid saying that I was going to label him as having a problem mother and that everyone was going to hate him and all this other BS.  So I am a problem mother for questioning things I don't think are right?? 

So how does your school work with drop offs?   If you question things at school whether it be rules or whatever else, does that make you a problem mother?  And more importantly am I being a phsyco helicopter parent for wanting to walk my child into school??

seems a bit extreme to me. i AM a problem mother at my sons school. i have to be or they dont keep up with his IEP plan

supermom0094

When my older 1 was little she would just walk in I couldn't go and my 2nd went to another school and she has to wait outside so we had to wait with her and on rainy days they go inside and I'm not allowed to walk in with her.  Give it a few days you will feel better  about it I wouldnt call the school.

imthatgirl728

I put my kid on a bus.

If I drive them I pull up and they get out of the car and run in.

But, yes that is the policy in most schools. So thats pretty standard. You're child will be fine. Just like every other 5yo in the school. They know where to go and at 5 should be able to handle it. And if for some reason he did get in the wrong class(although I don't think that would ahppen at the age of 5) then a teacher would get him in the right place. Trust me they aren't going to just leave him.

They just can't have every parent disturbing the morning routines everyday. Eventually that routine will get so quick that it would be a disturbance.

MommytoNandA
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:27 AM

I understand that, but we live in a small town.  They know who I am and they know my son. 

Quoting greeneyedgrl88:

We always have to sign in, it's a good thing they stopped you, I wouldn't be happy if they were letting anyone and everyone in, without checking you out first!

southern_momof2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:28 AM
at my sons school, pre-k and kindergarten go directly to there classes. We are not allowed to walk in the building, only to the gate. There are aids though that make sure they get to class. You have to learn to follow the rules. Your child will be fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gettin2serious
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:28 AM
Sorry, but you are wrong IMO. The staff will help him until he's confident on his own. He's in school now and is learning independence-shouldn't have momy walking him in. There ARE a LOT of kids the school is responsible for-imagine if all of them did what you want to do?! They have to have security policies in place to protect all the kids.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)