Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I need your help. My aunt committed suicide and we have a MAJOR problem. OT

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:49 AM
  • 23 Replies

I know you girls are incredibly good at finding out information. In case you missed my last post, my aunt committed suicide late Friday night. She left behind her 16 yr old son and mildly mentally retarded husband. I need help finding grants to help pay for funerals and whatever else you can find to help them out, PLEASE! This situation in unfathomable to me.  This is the email I just got 

"Hello all,

As we deal with the unexpected loss of Janice, we are finding that Todd and Janice were not financially prepared for such an eventuality.  Janice (and Todd) had no life insurance.  We are looking into any retirement plans that Jan may have had through her former job at Jewel, but it will take some time to get through this process.  Jan was on medical disability with the state after it became clear that she couldn't continue working. From what I understand at this point, Jan's disability checks will continue for only three months, and will then cease.  These checks will total only $2,400.

As you may imagine, Todd and Aaron will be barely scraping by on his salary at Dominick's.

The cost of the funeral is over $8000 dollars (that was the least expensive option other than having the county cremate her without a viewing or service).

Therefore, in lieu of flowers,  I am requesting donations to help Todd pay for the cost of the funeral.  All donations will go to covering the cost of the funeral.

At a future date, I'd like to discuss setting up a fund for Aaron to pay for clothes and school supplies, etc.

Several of you have already contacted me to donate.  Thank you so much.  To the others, please help if you can."

Thank you so much! I found a suicide survivor's outreach program and I sent the info to my uncle (not the husband, the one who is closest to them and helping them through this. I just don't even know where to begin. This whole thing is a nightmare.

-------------------------------------------------------

ETA- The service is today. Im actually getting ready for it now. Im trying to find info on helping pay for it.. We all need the closure of a funeral. This has been so incredibly devastating to all of us. I have literally NEVER heard her speak a word of malice to or about anybody. She was such an incredibly sweet woman that words cant even begin to start describing her. We're also more worried about my uncle and cousin being able to sustain themselves.  My uncle is mentally retarded and works at a grocery store. I have a lot of reservations about his ability to take care of both of them.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” ~Mahatma Ghandi

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mandi8806
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:52 AM
heres a bump for ya
Kayla516
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:53 AM

BUMP!

NotUrMama72
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:54 AM

BUMP!

nostress67
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:54 AM

Quoting mandi8806:

heres a bump for ya

JlynnDoyle
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:55 AM

Quoting mandi8806:

heres a bump for ya

daughterofearth
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:56 AM

i dont know what to say that could possible help, i personaly would be considering cremation, all things considered. you could still have a service, with a blown up picture of her in her better years, and the urn. a few people could say some words.....i couldnt even imagine what your going through, or how i would deal with it. god bless and good luck.

ajjs1972
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:56 AM

set up cans at local areas where they lived, where ppl know/knew them. have a bake sale, enlist companies to offer baked goods to be donated. have a bike run. other than those, i have no clue but you and your family have my deepest sympathy.

mommymelissa76
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:57 AM

Im so sorry for your loss. I dont know of anything like that, but here's a bump!

Bknotnobody

BUMP!

xanayda

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)