Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you do??

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:36 AM
  • 22 Replies

My son started tackle football last night.  He's played flag football and baseball for years.  This is a step up.  A 9 and 10 year old league.

The coaches expect them to practice from 6:30-8 Monday - Thursday for 3 weeks until games start.  Then, it's one game per week and 2 practices.  They talked about doing 1 practice on Sunday afternoon.

They want the kids to take a progress report to their school teacher to fill out each week.  (Which I think is bull and will tell them that if we go back).

They want to do a fund raiser to raise money for team t-shirts and trophies.  I refuse to beg for money.  They aren't selling anything just asking for donations.  We always have paid $10 for trophies and coaches gifts.  But, they don't buy the little trophies, they want 3' tall trophies.

And, they pray before and after each game/practice.  Which didn't bother me because this is the south and that happens at many events and I'm Christian. And, they did say if you don't want your child to do that, that they understood and didn't want anyone to be offended.

I really am thinking of pulling my son out.  I think it's too much on him and too much on the parents.

So, what would you do?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommas3cubs
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:38 AM

What is wrong with them wanting progress reports from the teacher? I think that is a good thing, because if they are slacking in school than they should not be able to play. That is the way it is in High School. They always do fund raisers, that is how they make money, Every summer the Cheerleaders here do a car wash, to help raise money.

Quite frankly, I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing.I think you need to back off and let your son play if that is what he wants to do.

I guess because we are Big on football here, all that stuff is Expected and normal, I don't see what the big deal is.

imthatgirl728
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:39 AM

That all sounds fairly standard.Except for the praying part, but that seems ok with you. and really it would be fine with me too and we aren't religious.

What exactly is your specific issue with these policies?

If I wanted my child to play, he would stay in. If I didn't I would pull him out.

stefvan
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:53 AM

If he doesn't do well in school, I wouldn't let him play.  I don't think it's fair to ask the teacher to do that every week.  What if all 21 kids had a report for her to fill out every week.

When ds was in karate, I had to get the teacher to do one right before a new belt award.

Quoting mommas3cubs:

What is wrong with them wanting progress reports from the teacher? I think that is a good thing, because if they are slacking in school than they should not be able to play. That is the way it is in High School. They always do fund raisers, that is how they make money, Every summer the Cheerleaders here do a car wash, to help raise money.

Quite frankly, I don't see anything wrong with what they are doing.I think you need to back off and let your son play if that is what he wants to do.

I guess because we are Big on football here, all that stuff is Expected and normal, I don't see what the big deal is.

imthatgirl728
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:56 AM

The teachers are pretty used to it, they've been doing this for years.

Quoting stefvan:

If he doesn't do well in school, I wouldn't let him play.  I don't think it's fair to ask the teacher to do that every week.  What if all 21 kids had a report for her to fill out every week.

When ds was in karate, I had to get the teacher to do one right before a new belt award.

mommas3cubs
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:57 AM

Quoting imthatgirl728:

The teachers are pretty used to it, they've been doing this for years.

Exactly.

anetrnlov
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Just because you wouldn't allow yours to play because of bad grades doesn't mean the other parents are like that.

They are trying to show the kids that their education comes first...a rarity (at least around here) when it comes to athletics. I find it refreshing.

It's not like the teacher has to write a detailed list of everything the kid's have done all week.

Quoting stefvan:

Quoting mommas3cubs:

mamaoftwins9197
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:01 AM

I don't see anything wrong with anything that they are asking.  The prayer may be uncomfortable for some, but they could probably sit that out or pray to the clouds or something to hav e agood game...LOL...they don't have to pray to God.  If you don't like any of it, then pull him out, but I don't see any reason to.

misunderstood1

sounds great. and the progress reports are there for parents who may not take their kids out if they aren't doing well in school. I think that its an important part of the child taking responsibility for school and the sport. 

and practices only for an hour and a half, man when i was that age i was doing 3 hour practices every day. seems like a pretty well put together program. 

Double.L

I would do anything because I agree with it all. I might not want to ask for money so I would just pay it myself. Having kids in sports is expensive, there's just no way around it.  I wish people prayed before a football game here! I would let your son decide if he wants to stay in or out. If he can keep up his grades and play then hes responsible enough to play.

imthatgirl728
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:02 AM

The progress reports aren't just for the parents who wouldn't take their kids out.

They are teaching the kids that they are accountable. Responsibility and accountability are great things to teach a child. You should be welcoming it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)