Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kid's Babysitting

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:51 AM
  • 2 Replies

Poll

Question: Whats is a good age to start babysitting?

Options:

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 7

View Results

A few weeks ago I read a post where a 10 year old was babysitting an toddler and was abusing the child.  Of course, 10 years old is to young to be taking care of a baby.  But, my question is when do you think is a good age for kids to start babysitting?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
robsgurl_23
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM
I was watching my little sister who is 7 years younger then me when I was 9 but we lived near where my parents worked also on a campground my grandmother owned. So we had people who knew us and we were able to get. One of our parents at anytime if needed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:17 AM

I voted 15. I was actually 11 when I started babysitting, but I was pretty much watching myself from the age of 5 (I had 2 older brothers who were supposed to be watching me when our parents went out, but as soon as they were gone, my brothers took off). But 11 was probably not the best age for me to start. I didn't abuse the kids or anything, but I did have a mouth on me, which is not the best thing to have around young children.

I would never leave my son with anyone that young. Honestly I wouldn't even leave him with a 15 year old (but you didn't have an option for other). I'm very cautious about who watches my child and I don't think a teenager has the maturity level to handle a toddler. I'm not saying that they are all immature, but I would have to know them really really well and know what kind of person they are in order for me to feel comfortable. I couldn't take a random teenager and hire off the streets. But then, I'll say that about a person of any age, I'm very cautious, so anyone I hired to watch him would be scrutinized. If my son were older, say 10, I would probably feel ok with a teenager, but not at the age of 3.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)