Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cerebral Palsy???

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM
  • 8 Replies

Any info would be great you can PM if you like, My daughter was diagnosed with a small case of it yesterday. I go for my 3rd opinion thursday. I'm freaking out. I don't understand why other docs didn't catch it. she's 6. I know its only mild, and her mental state is not effected, but still

thanks

I love my Hubby and I am so proud!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
southernjess3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:52 AM

my aunt has it. she had braces on her legs when she was little and they had to break her legs a lot. she still walks different, but she can run faster than i can..lol

-42-
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:55 AM

I went to school with two girls who had it. One just had issues with her hand, and she walked with a limp. The other one had the same issues, but she also had seizures. Unless you were friends with them, you wouldn't have known that they had CP. Their mental states were not affected, and they were two of my best friends.

"Hate is just a special kind of love we give to
people who suck."

sherriemorgan
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Thanks ladies. , Yea my daughter's mental state is not effected, she walks with a turned in foot and she can't hop or jump or climb up or down stairs on her own. I am just so stressed out. I have already been told that she will have surgery in the summer when school lets out. Im just going crazy right now it seems.

1boy1girlmama
by *Sarcasm Speaks* on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:30 AM

My daughter is little, she's 14 months but  we can already tell she has a mild case of it, but they can't officially diagnose her until she's 18 mos.  Her left arm and left leg are affected. She just started pulling up and she's 14 months. She will probably have to wear braces on her legs and do a lot of occupational therapy on her arm/hand. It sucks to watch your kid go through all that. Did she have problems at birth or was it just out of the blue?  My daughter was high risk b/c of a brain injury at birth. Her intelligence is not affected and if  I had to guess she will be like a PP's friends who you would never know she has it unless I told you. Right now people now she's a little slower physically but they would never guess she has CP.

There is a group on here that's nice you could join, I'm in it...http://www.cafemom.com/group/2289

sherriemorgan
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Quoting 1boy1girlmama:

My daughter is little, she's 14 months but  we can already tell she has a mild case of it, but they can't officially diagnose her until she's 18 mos.  Her left arm and left leg are affected. She just started pulling up and she's 14 months. She will probably have to wear braces on her legs and do a lot of occupational therapy on her arm/hand. It sucks to watch your kid go through all that. Did she have problems at birth or was it just out of the blue?  My daughter was high risk b/c of a brain injury at birth. Her intelligence is not affected and if  I had to guess she will be like a PP's friends who you would never know she has it unless I told you. Right now people now she's a little slower physically but they would never guess she has CP.

There is a group on here that's nice you could join, I'm in it...http://www.cafemom.com/group/2289

it was completely out of the blue, granted she was born extremely early and now that I look at the whole picture, Im mad that none of the docs up until now caught it.  she started showing major signs in may but I now just found a doctor who would take me seriously

I love my Hubby and I am so proud!

sherriemorgan
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:43 AM

BUMP!

caitxrawks
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:45 AM

My little brother (stepbrother) has it, he was born with it. He just turned 12 last month. He's mentally sound, it's his motor skills that are affected.

He walks and runs and jumps and plays and swims and goes to regular school and is exactly like any other kid. He has a "girlfriend", lol.

caitxrawks
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:47 AM

OH, and my brother had surgery a few years ago to straighten his legs. His were turned in as well. They put steel rods in them and the bones grew straight or something like that. Then they took the rods out. It was kinda scary for him, but he's doing great now.

I'm sure everything will be fine. Just read everything you can, don't be afraid to ask as many questions as possible.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)