Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have "money"

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM
  • 411 Replies

If you won the lottery or came into a large settlement or inheritance, would you still work?

I get asked all the time, on CM and IRL why the heck I work. My so asks me, even. Even if I won the lottery and became a multimillionaire, I would still work my two jobs. I was raised to work. I was also piss poor, trying to raise kids on very little at one time, and being broke is a sort of phobia that I have now. There were times I had to go without food to make groceries last until my next paycheck so my kids would have plenty. I am a FREAK about putting money back in the bank, just in case. I NEVER want to go through that again. The oil field is also not reliable, and it can take a huge dump on us at any time, just like it all but did when Obama took office. Oil and natural gas is my bread and butter, and if we get some radical tree hugger in office next term, my bread and butter could be gone. If that happens, most of the jobs around here go *poof*. Even places that are not oil/gas related go under because most people around here work in the oil/gas industry....and the money they earn in the oil/gas industry supports all of the local businesses. This is an oil town. Without oil, there's really nothing but a line of Uhauls leaving town and foreclosure signs in every other front yard. It's really a very scary gambling game every four years for most people around here, as was proved with Obama. So, I will continue to work 2 jobs and build my nest egg. If anything happens that is drastic, I will be more than prepared.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:58 AM
Replies (1-10):
Pnukey
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:59 AM

I can't find a job now, if winning the lottery would help me get a job, then yeah, I'd keep it. Sitting around is driving me nuts.

.kk.
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM
Yep, still work.
oboe_chik
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:00 AM
I would still work but i would start my own business instead of working my current job.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kadillac
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM

Quoting Pnukey:

I can't find a job now, if winning the lottery would help me get a job, then yeah, I'd keep it. Sitting around is driving me nuts.

Lol! Well, that, too. I can't stand to sit at home and be a SAHM all the time.

sati769leigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:01 AM

for me, learning how to invest and watch the stock market. learning how to MANAGE large amounts of money and MAKE THEM WORK. that would be my job

allurasmamma
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:02 AM

If I win the lottery I said there are a few people I would give money to. People like me, hard on luck and save the rest and shop. I don't work now, so it is almost guaranteed if I won I wouldn't work then.

CallieLynsMommy
Yes, I would work. I've worked hard for my degrees and like my line of work. I'm not the stay at home type. I'd put away most of the settlement/lottery money after I paid off my debt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kadillac

Quoting oboe_chik:

I would still work but i would start my own business instead of working my current job.

That's what I did down south, but there's no industry for my company up here :( But, I ran that and worked full time, too.

BonitaM

If I had millions I wouldn't even consider working unless it was for fun and never full time.  I'd put some away to ensure that we're covered for life but I'd spend a whole lot too.

KairisMama
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Nope, DH and I would both stop working, invest properly, travel, and just enjoy the freedom to do what we'd like to do and not have to worry about getting up for a 40 hour work week.

This post has been locked, replies are no longer allowed.

Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)