Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How does a child get dianosed with Cerebal palsy?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:50 AM
  • 8 Replies

I am just curious because my son fits a lot of the symtons of CP. He has chiari but since the day he started having problems I started thinking there is something else not just chiari. His leg muscles (exspecially hamstrings)are extremely tight all the time. He has a  very unsteady gait. He falls alot. His left leg is weaker than his right.  He has had an MRI of his brain and spine. But the neurologist has said nothing other than chiari and keep watching him for more problems. So we go back to see the doc soon and I was wondering if I should push the matter of thinking there is more going on or leave it like it is?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mehere123
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:52 AM

He was fine until the age of 2 he got up one day and it was like his left leg would not work right.

themacs4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:54 AM

I don't know honestly.  My cousin has it.  I'm not sure how young she was when she was diagnosed, though. 

balow929
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:00 PM

I would push for the Drs to expand th possibilities because there are a number of disorders that can mimic CP so ask the Drs to due further testing because you believe there is more going on than the Chiari most Drs will allow more testing but tell you not to panic if it is only Chiari there are many degrees and not all of the symptoms are known. I am a certified medical assistant and do in home care for children with CP and autism.

lillysmomma2006
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:00 PM

i have cp my ham stings and hill cords are tight i dont know exactly how they diognosed me my mom send bc i wasnt talking when i was 2. but that was 26 yrs ago fri lol. i do know that when my dd was born at 28 weeks they did an ultra sound on her head to look for bleeding in the brain luckly she did not have it.

orcadarwin
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:01 PM

I thought cerebral palsy was diagnosed at birth.  I have a cousin who has had it since birth. 

jodyann2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:03 PM
My brother had it. He couldn't walk and talk after age 2
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kerfuffle
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:06 PM

CP is something that occurs at birth....  I know now-a-days they can diagnose it at birth most of the time.

It sounds strange that at age 2 suddenly 1 leg wasn't working well...   What degree of Chiari does he have?  Chiari can actually cause symptoms like this.   Or something else neurologically is wrong.

cunningham4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:11 PM

My son has it.  Feel free to add me and pm me if you need to.  The key is to finding the right doctor.  We went to a neurologist for 3 years that would never give my son a CP diagnosis.  All during this time, I am a special education teacher, then finishing up a masters degree in special education.  I was able to diagnose myself, then located a spasticity expert (neurologist) and began taking my son to see them.  We immediately received our CP diagnosis and she has helped us tremendously!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)