Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you ever worry about when you retire or how you will survive when you are elderly?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:42 PM
  • 17 Replies

I think about it all of the time. I have seen what can happen when people do not save enough for retirement and how much stress it can put on a family. I never want to put that pressure on my children.

I think how quickly the last 40 years of my life has gone, and the thought of not having enough saved for retirement scares me. DH and I, have retirement and we are planning, but I wonder will it be enough. Neither one of us want to have to worry about "making a living" when we are 60 years old.

We've planned out how much we want/need to save, buying long term care insurance privately if we have to once he retires(we have it now through his employer.) becoming completely debt free including mortage by 55 years old..etc.

What are you doing to plan for your retirement?

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vintage_pearl4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:45 PM

I think about it all the time.  I work in a nursing home, and I wouldn't ever want to end up in one. 

laranadtony
by Emerald Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I recieve the bulk of my dad's estate at 55 .I will make money mattresses.I will be fine............

luv2wahm
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:46 PM

Amen...my mother is in a skilled nursing center now after breaking a hip and 4 ribs, she'll be getting out this weekend, but I look at some of the people there and it breaks my heart.

Quoting vintage_pearl4:

I think about it all the time.  I work in a nursing home, and I wouldn't ever want to end up in one. 

Created by MyFitnessPal - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Just_Bethy

Ohhh Goddess...Help me..I don't even want to think about it...We have a small...(very small) retirement plan we started a few years ago...HOPE the house will be paid off when we are 65...(pretty sure) as to the rest...I have 4 kids and they ALL want to take care of me...and THAT worries me..LOL...I can see me tied to a rocking chair and force fed broccoli!!!

kltinsley

We have a plan - it's not really something I worry about, but it's always smart to plan ahead. 

Sahm.I.am
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:49 PM

multiple residual income streams

TessLea
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:49 PM

Since I have been home for the last 16 years, I am 45 hubby 52 and our youngest is 11 yrs, we do worry about it.  Although, our kids are tough and they know if they want to attend college or any other type of school they will be paying for it on their own through loans and hard work.  Our daughter is saving right now for a car she works hard to do so.  They understand that we had to do it and they will too, they will respect it more if they do.  My husband knows a man who has been retired for a long time, his youngest son just turned 40 and his father is still paying off his college loans for him.  I don't understand why a child would do that to a parent, he is 40 he should be paying it off himself we think.  Hopefully we will be okay and my hubby can stop reffing football when he retires from his full time.  Just have to wait and see.

weeblette
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:52 PM
We each invest 25% of our salaries plus we have pensions/profit sharing through our respective employees. We are fortunate to not have a mortgage right now as our home is double family and my inlaws live in the suite. We both have committed to ensuring we can retire at 55 with our dd's education covered. We truely are blessed to have wonderful careers with a fairly high income.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SunnyBaby
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:52 PM

No!!

littleluvkitty
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:55 PM

hubby is making the Navy his career so we are planning on retiring after his twenty years in. plus we have a 401k and some savings. to be honest we are saving more for the kids college right now then we are for retirement. but we are prepared. i would go crazy thinking about it if i didn't have some sort of plan.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)