Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cat Question

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:21 PM
  • 20 Replies
Our dog passed away about 2 months ago. My DH and DD have been begging to get a cat. I have nothing agains cats, I like them. The only problem is that we go out of town every other month for the weekend. We go to visit our family 4 hours away. We stay with my MIL and she has a lttle dog that is NOT cat friendly. I just don't know what we would do with a cat for those 2 days that we are away. Can a cat stay alone in our home for 2 days?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sh2991ba
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:21 PM

Yes, you could just get one of those self-feeders and self-waterers.

PookaboosMom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM
Have a self feeder and a self waterer and a clean litter box and itd probably be fine imo
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aprilmommy2007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:22 PM

I believe so leave like 2 bowls of food and 2 bowls of water and a nice clean litter box. I dont see why not, if you dont feel comfortable see if a neighbor can come over and feed the cat

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:23 PM

As long as you leave plenty of food and water out, and fresh litter in the pan, you shouldn't have a problem. I wouldn't leave him or her any longer than that though. ... maybe get some of those "automatic" feeder dishes.

southern_momof2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:26 PM
Thanks for the replies. We are never gone for more than the weekend. DH just doesn't get off work that much. I will look into the automatic feeders.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessand2boys
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:27 PM

i dont recommend male cats  imo

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:28 PM

Quoting Jessand2boys:

As long as you get them fixed before they start spraying, there should be no issues. - Especially in a one-cat home.

Every cat I've ever had has been male. ... and every dog, female. LOL I don't know for sure why but that's just been how it worked out.

It's amazing how people don't hold themselves to the standards they set for others.

southern_momof2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:31 PM
I plan on getting one from a shelter and they are usually fixed or they give you a low cost voucher to get it done. I prefer a female, but its whatever DH and DD want.

Quoting wickedfiress:

Quoting Jessand2boys:

As long as you get them fixed before they start spraying, there should be no issues. - Especially in a one-cat home.

Every cat I've ever had has been male. ... and every dog, female. LOL I don't know for sure why but that's just been how it worked out.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitty8199
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:32 PM

Cats are pretty self sufficient.  Just leave enough food and water, and make sure the litter box is clean, and the cat will be fine.  More than likely it will just sleep anyway.

southern_momof2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:34 PM
Yea it probably will just sleep! I have just always had a dog and we took her wherever we went. It will take some getting used to a cat!

Quoting kitty8199:

Cats are pretty self sufficient.  Just leave enough food and water, and make sure the litter box is clean, and the cat will be fine.  More than likely it will just sleep anyway.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)