Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son needs tubes in his ears! UPDATE

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM
  • 30 Replies

I need to hear from mom's who have either had this done themselves or had a child do it.  Please tell me what it is like and how it works.  My son is 15 months.  Thanks!

UPDATE: We are scheduled for sometime Sept. 21st.  I have another question.  We have insurance.  So how much did it cost you to have this done?  Did insurance cover most of it?  Just trying to budget it out.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wife.and.mommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:37 PM

its a 7 min procedure.  they will put him under general.

he will wake up crying but he will be like a new boy.

DD got her done at 10 months old (9 ear infections in 6 months)

orcadarwin
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:39 PM

My daughter had tubes in her ears just before she turned 9 months old.  I was so scared because they have to put them to sleep.  Just barely to sleep, because it only takes about 2 seconds to put the tubes in.  It takes longer for them to get to sleep than it does to put the tubes in.  She has done great with them, and did great when they put them in. 

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:42 PM

Both my middle son who is almost three and my daughter who is 20 months old has had them done. It is a very simple procedure and takes very little healing time. i think it took longer for the astheisia (sp?) to wear off

dipsetgrl06
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:45 PM

My son is almost 4 and  had an ear infection almost every month.. He got the tubes put in 6 months ago and it was the best.. He felt some pressure in his ears for a couple hours and was cranky from being under.. But honestly it helped so much.. His speech was much clearer and he has had no more infections (knocks on wood)

It's a quick procedure... They put him under and then not even 10 minutes later he is awake...

They fall out in 6-18 months

You have to put plugs in while he bathes or goes swimming

ummm I think that's about it... I was a nervous wreck but it truly is not that bad.. Good Luck!

yo_ho
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:47 PM

DS got his a week ago. Honestly, I couldn't be happier and have pushing for this for almost a year now! DS pretty much had ear infections at every appt when he was under one yr old. They refused to test him. I didn't feel like his speech was progressing, but the peds kept saying he is saying words, he is fine. Final straw was when he was 21 mo and literally falling 20-50 times a day. I decided to call his ped and push the testing for the falling side of things. Wouldn't you know, his ears were full of fluid!

Pre-op was 1.5 hours, whole surgery including being put to sleep with just a mask (no needles or IVs) and he was done in 10 min. They let me go back after he woke up (20-30 min) and after thirty min we got sent home.

KimGsMommi
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:48 PM

It's not too bad. Worse on the mom than the child. Was for me anyway, I was cryin. Ha. My oldest has had 2 sets of tubes, her adenoids and tonsils removed. And my youngest is on her 3rd set now.  They may be cranky for a lil bit after, and sleep. After that you can't even tell they had anything done. And like someone else said, you have to keep their ears dry. Good Luck!!

Jessy613
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM

My son had it done at 19 months old. I was so worried & scared and did all of this research on it. When the day came for his surgery I was so worried but they took him and it was over in 10 minutes. He did fine and woke up from the anesthisia (s/p) and cried for about 15 minutes but that is totally normal. The procedure is simple and before ya know it he will be done. My son didn't get anymore headcolds and no more runny noses. He's doing great. Don't worry mama it'll be alright!

aanddplus2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I had it done several times...I can't really remember what all went on since it was about 15 years ago...I don't think it's that bad...just keep his ears dry.

Gr8tmomma
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM

Yeah, it's nothing to worry about Mama.  It's a very quick procedure and he will feel so much better.  Take care.  Prayers coming your way.

njenniel
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:54 PM
My daughter had17 ear infections by 8 months old. Takes 10 minutes and she didnt cry or bleed at all. They will not eliminate ear infections but they do allow them to drain and not damage the ear drum. Her hearing improved too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)