Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

California officials are outfitting preschoolers in Contra Costa County with tracking devices they say will save staff time and money.

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

Via: San Jose Mercury News / AP:

California officials are outfitting preschoolers in Contra Costa County with tracking devices they say will save staff time and money.

The system was introduced Tuesday. When at the school, students will wear a jersey that has a small radio frequency tag. The tag will send signals to sensors that help track children’s whereabouts, attendance and even whether they’ve eaten or not.

School officials say it will free up teachers and administrators who previously had to note on paper files when a child was absent or had eaten.

Sung Kim of the county’s employment and human services department said the system could save thousands of hours of staff time and pay for itself within a year.

It cost $50,000 and was paid by a federal grant.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
hopefloats505
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:49 PM

I think that is a waste of money, they could be using that towards bettering education and hire more staff to keep an eye on students.

Nyx7
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:50 PM

I wondered when we started microchipping our pets how long it would be before they got to the kids.

NessaLovesEmma
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:51 PM

What a waste of money. I live in Contra Costa County LOL.

TNmom2three
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:54 PM

I can understand it to a point. It would make things a bit easier, and possibly safer. However I am afraid they would depend on it to much and then kids dissapear.

TrevonsMommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:54 PM

Quoting NessaLovesEmma:

What a waste of money. I live in Contra Costa County LOL.

Me too!!! And I agree LOL

They did say it came from fedral grant though and that it will pay for itself within a year or two... *shrug* I guess I am kinda indifferent...Hope it works out I guess.

rachana
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:56 PM

Quoting hopefloats505:

I think that is a waste of money, they could be using that towards bettering education and hire more staff to keep an eye on students.

٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶View Full Size Image٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Kim

supervomiter
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:57 PM

What happens when the kids take the jersey off and stuff in a box somewhere?

mysteriousdaze
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:58 PM

To me, it seems like laziness, not saving time and money. How hard is it to have a whiteboard chart and do checkmarks? I do this daily and it takes me about 5 seconds to walk over to the chart and write a check and I do it with a handmade chart that I draw up every week for the kids at home.

NessaLovesEmma
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 1:59 PM

Hmm good question...

Quoting supervomiter:

What happens when the kids take the jersey off and stuff in a box somewhere?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)