Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OMG, will they never end??? (another pa post)

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:57 PM
  • 21 Replies

I actually do need help though......

as some of you know, sd and her baby moved in with us over the weekend and yesterday dh took her to get signed up for foodstamps and whatever. And they told her since she's not 22 (she's 18) that she has to be on our case, and can't have her own. 

What? Why not?  If she doesn't get TANF, then she has no proof of income therefore she can't sign up for HUD, how is she supposed to go about getting child support for her baby? 

And she can't just go out and get a job right now, her baby is 9 months old, she has 4 credits left to finish high school, doesn't have a license or a car.....

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sati769leigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 2:58 PM

that is COMPLETE HOGWASH. she is legally an adult and you are NOT legally responsble for her. she needs to apply as an adult RENTING a room at your house.

Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:00 PM

her and dh are the ones that went, I guess I should've went so that I could explain the situation right......

Quoting sati769leigh:

that is COMPLETE HOGWASH. she is legally an adult and you are NOT legally responsble for her. she needs to apply as an adult RENTING a room at your house.

KME3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:02 PM
I was in the same situation....but the state went after my ex for child support....the welfare office asked me if Iwanted to go after him for child support and I said yes and they took care of it...but that was back in 2003....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emelymac
by Emely on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:02 PM

Um...I'm pretty sure that's not true. She's 18, she is legally an adult. And 22? Yeah, plenty of people under 22 have their own cases. I would go back...

Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:03 PM

so, you had to be on your parents' case too?

Quoting KME3:

I was in the same situation....but the state went after my ex for child support....the welfare office asked me if Iwanted to go after him for child support and I said yes and they took care of it...but that was back in 2003....

pasteeater
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:05 PM

Yeah, you need to tell them she's renting a room.  These are rules even they don't make sense.  I don't understand it but I have heard of it quite a few times.

mommy0815
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:06 PM
If u live with ur parents and ur under age 22 u have to use their income!! That is just the way it is. Doesn't matter if she days she is renting a room. Once she turns 22 she will have her own case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jennifer63080
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:07 PM

I wonder if it varies by state........

so, she can't get tanf and can't get hud til then.....?

Quoting mommy0815:

If u live with ur parents and ur under age 22 u have to use their income!! That is just the way it is. Doesn't matter if she days she is renting a room. Once she turns 22 she will have her own case.

luv2wahm
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:08 PM

I am sure there are many teens going to school that have babies..could you give her a ride to a job and help watch the baby while she's at work? At least that would help cover the cost of food...

KME3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:08 PM
Yes. I was able to get tanf and medicade myself but I was told I couldn't get food stamps till I was 22..... & the welfare office dont mess around with child support....lol...they will go after him especially if she gets tanf..if hes not paying child sport and she recieves tanf they they go after him for all the money they give her...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)