Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

tax write off's....Question

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:18 PM
  • 15 Replies

I know that if you drive X amount of miles to work you can write off your cost of gas in your income tax I just cant remember how much that is. My friend got a promotion at work and she wants to know how many miles it is so she knows to take it or not.

I remeber my Ex bf back in the day drove like 40 mi to work and was able to write his off on taxes.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sh2991ba
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I believe it is over 20 miles one way.

luv2wahm
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:19 PM

I am not sure...just make sure she keeps a detailed log when if she does use the deduction. In the event of an audit they will want to see the mileage log.

sati769leigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:21 PM

there is a set amount you can claim

elle7777
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Depends...If you are an employee, and you drive to the same place every day its considered your commute and you can't write it off. If you are an independent contractor and file a schedule c you can. If you are on temporary assignment, or there are special circumstances you may be able to write it off.

NavyWifey122305
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I just realized........ its 28 miles one way to take the hubby to work all this time i should have been saving receits DAMN ME !!!!

Well its not to late I guess !

Mommie2Kailen
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:26 PM

bump

Jessand2boys
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM

you can't write a commute off, however if you travel for you job (doing delivery, business errands), you may be able to write that off.

It really depends on if your employer reimburses you and how much. Say the the current mileage rate for the irs is 50 C on the mile. if your employer reimburses you 45 cents on the mile.. the remaining 5 cents can be claimed.

LOL I called my grandma.. she has worked for h and r block for 40 years...

ajfairleigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Quoting elle7777:

Depends...If you are an employee, and you drive to the same place every day its considered your commute and you can't write it off. If you are an independent contractor and file a schedule c you can. If you are on temporary assignment, or there are special circumstances you may be able to write it off.

Elle is correct, you can not write off mileage that is your normal drive to and from work, it doesn't matter how far you have to drive.  Also you can not write off mileage that is reimburst by employer such as for training, business trips, meetings, etc. if mileage is not reimburst through company, then they can be written off. 

Mamasgirl524
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:39 PM
I deliver pizzas, can I write it off do you think?

Quoting sh2991ba:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jessand2boys
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM

yes, you can

masgirl524:

I deliver pizzas, can I write it off do you think?

Quoting sh2991ba:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)