Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Maternity leave...vent/advice

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:18 PM
  • 7 Replies

I got my paperwork today for short term disability and FMLA for my maternity leave (I am currently 27 weeks). I am covered at 50% of current pay for however long my doctor approves of. Well, we can't afford that. I should have 2-2.5 weeks of vacation at that point but will most likely have to come back at that point.

How long did you take for your maternity leave? Does anyone know of any other options that may be available to me? I appreciate any advice or even just support. I was really hoping to have a bit more time.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
rainmommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:29 PM
i only took 3wks with my ds bc my work didnt offer paid maternity leave n i dont qualify for vacc time since im only part time n i didnt have the option of fmla bc i didnt have enough hrs put in dh n i saved all 9months just so i could take the time i did if we didnt i would of been to work the next day after haveing him
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsKowis
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:30 PM

BUMP!

wyobeth
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:33 PM

I'm sorry to hear that your leave will be so short.  I truly think a downfall of our country is that we don't provide at least 3 mos. PAID maternity to all new mothers.  In many countries it is 6 mos. paid or a year at 80% pay in Sweden.  I was fortunate to be able to cobble together 3 mos. off between vacation, sick leave, donated sick leave, short term disability and savings.

rainmommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:34 PM
my advice to u is to save as much as i can even if u only save enough for one week take ur vaccation time n then deside how long u can afford to stay out of work while getting half of ur paycheck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amber_1024
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:35 PM

BUMP!

MrsKowis
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:42 PM

I have to agree with this! There is enough to worry about with a new baby, maternity leave should be a standard. I realize that I am lucky to be able to take any time at all, but I was hoping for more.

Quoting wyobeth:

I'm sorry to hear that your leave will be so short.  I truly think a downfall of our country is that we don't provide at least 3 mos. PAID maternity to all new mothers.  In many countries it is 6 mos. paid or a year at 80% pay in Sweden.  I was fortunate to be able to cobble together 3 mos. off between vacation, sick leave, donated sick leave, short term disability and savings.

MrsKowis
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:01 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)