Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dad is in hospice... please pray for us UPDATE IN RED

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

I haven't been  here in awhile; tings have been very busy. I need your prayers right now, for all of us. My dad has been in bad health for several years now. He is 80, and he cannot take much more.He was just released from the hospital, and placed in hospice. He has Alzheimer's and a really bad heart. Dad could last for awhile yet, but the Cardiologists told Mom his heart could stop at any time. His heart just has ... done all it can do. They told her that they have  given him all the meds possible & nothing is really working. We may have months.. days.. or hours. We simply don't know.  I live 12 hours away from him, and  barring a miracle, I have no way of getting down there.We can only afford ONE trip down, my kids and husband all work and  cannot take the extra time off.  I called about an emergency medical flight, and they offered me a round trip ticket for 420. Which is great  IF   I  had that  money. Which I don't. So, I am scared to death to think   that  I  may never see Dad awake again.. I made a prayer group for him on facebook.. I am not sure any of you are on FB, but the link is:  http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/group.php?gid=140542985986850.

Just pray that we all get through this and I get to see Dad again

UPDATE:    I was able to fly down on an emergency medical fare. I spent the entire week with Dad... all his  girls were there.  He had a  wonderful week... he knew us all & was able to play a little  with his great grand babies. He even got out & walked a little in the yard.  We made some  wonderful memories as well as pics. His sister & her daughter came  in for a few hours. So we had a small family reunion. I wish we ALL  could  have been there, but,  I am so very grateful for what we had.  I  took Dad out in his wheelchair yesterday and he really enjoyed that. The hospice nurse came by & said his bloodwork was good and so was his blood pressure. He was  sleeping well at night  all week, which is wonderful. Now that  the house is quiet again..  I am not sure  how it will affect him. He  didn't want  me  to leave, at all. I  just appreciate  all your prayers, and thoughts.  I still have no idea  how much longer we will have him, but, right now.... I am just so grateful I got to see him again.

Here is a pic we made  while I was there. Mom took it.  His sister is  with him, as well as her duaghter. The other young  women are his grand daughters.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
southern_momof2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:44 PM
I am so sorry. Your family will be in our prayers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luv2wahm
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I will keep him in my prayers..he looks like a very gentle soul..

1busymomma03
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:47 PM
I am so sorry you are going through that. I will pray for your dad and your whole family. I will also pray that you get the chance to see him again very soon.
sati769leigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:52 PM

my heart hurts for you..

greeneyedgrl88
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:53 PM
My prayers are with you and your family!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lady_kira
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 3:57 PM

I'm sorry to hear that, I actually work in a memory care facility and many of the resident's are on hospice. All of them have Alzheimer's or other dementias, it's not the type of work I envisioned myself as doing but it's something that I actually enjoy at times.

One of the hard things though is that they tell us to remember that our resident's will not get better, Alzheimer's is a terrible disease let alone other problems. I will pray for your father, and also you and your family. If you feel like you need to talk about his Alzheimer's with someone, feel free to PM me. I am by no means an expert but I am constantly learning about the disease.

StariNelson
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 7:23 PM

Thank you all. Dad had a bad day today; he had been given some meds and he was unresponsive  most  of the day. I  am flying in tomorrow;  will be home with Dad  about 4 pm.  Keep us all in your prayers.

SuperPookie
by on Sep. 2, 2010 at 8:10 PM

I am so sorry :(.

StariNelson
by on Sep. 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM
Thank you all; your prayers mean so very much.
1busymomma03
by on Sep. 10, 2010 at 4:06 PM

I am so very glad that you go to go see him, and that you had a good visit. Prayers still going up for you and your family. ((hugs))

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)