Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how difficult ....?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:03 PM
  • 3 Replies

How difficult would it be to maintain a gluten free diet for my son?

I am been doing lots of reading about celiacs and non celiacs gluton intolerance. And i am beginning to wonder if it will help my son. I noticed he has many of the symptoms of it. But I don't even know where to start.

He has speech and other mild developmental delays and I read that alot of times that is a symptom and once on the diet things will start to clear up. Those aren't the only symptoms he has but they are the biggest ones.  

last year he was diagnosed as hypoglycemic because ever since he was a toddler if he didn't eat a large dinner he would wake up very sick the next morning. He would vomit stomach bile and be lethargic. You couldn't wake him for anything. He was in and out of hospitals and doctors offices. We eventually figured out if we gave hime some kind of soda he would come right out of an episode which confused doctors further. I took it as his blood sugar was low and thats why it helped so the doctor finally ordered a glucose test and he was borderline hypoglycemic.

But after reading all this gluten stuff, I am beginning to wonder if those episodes are more of a malabsortion issue than a hypo-glycemic. Because it only happens if he should skip dinner. It's a rare occurance now because he is better at finishing his food at night. unless he is being completely stubborn because he simply doesn't like the meal. 

Anyway like i mentioned above i don't know where to start. so I am open to tips and experiences from those who have been through it.  

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
wife.and.mommy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:07 PM

we had DS allergy tested to see if he would need a GFCF diet.

he didnt but we incorporate some GFCF foods.

it is very hard to maintain if you have other children who are on a typical diet.

it is fustrating when your child is out or at a party and you always have to pack a meal for them and constantly watch that they dont eat other foods that arent GFCF, esp in the begining when a child just doesnt understand, esp if a typical diet doesnt make them sick.. make sense?

my friends kid is on a GFCF diet but the min he eats something he gets violently ill, so in his 4 short years of life so far, he learned that he cant eat this or that bc it makes him sick for days and he winds up in the ER.

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:36 PM

I have no idea but here's a BUMP!

How old is your son?

jenniamigo
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 5:20 PM

he is 7

Quoting NearSeattleMom:

I have no idea but here's a BUMP!

How old is your son?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)