Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you though your child had developed a phonic/verbal tic... *edit, a little riled up*

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:04 PM
  • 5 Replies

How long do you think it would take to get your child in to see the doctor?

Edit**

My daughter is 4 years old and completey healthy.  About 3 weeks ago she started making this "hm" noise pretty constantly.  I though maybe her throat was bothering her from allregies.  Well, the allergy symptoms she was having resolved about a week ago and last night she was doing it terribly.  So I called the ped. today to schedule her an appt. hoping for this week, maybe next week, but I would have even settled for the week after.  No.  They want to shedule me 3 freaking months out.  I'm sorry but I find that absolutely ridiculous!  A healthy child developing a tic isn't something you put off loooking at for 3 months! I raised a little cain and they're getting her in tomorrow but I'm thinking about switching peds.  There has to be someone around here who doesn't make you wait a 1/4 of a freaking year to get in.  You'd think this doctor is a fricking neuro surgeon or something.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
imamombygrace
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:06 PM

Not long at all. I would explain to my pediatricians nurse and see when they could get her in.

My DD has OCD and has a few ticks. Among those is pulling out her hair and an eye tick. It was addressed this past appointment. The earlier you catch the tics the better.

bethmoore71
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:09 PM

I didn't make a special trip in to the pediatrician. I knew that ticks were possible with my DD's diagnoses. I mentioned it when we next went in for her every-3-months checkup for her ADHD, depression, ODD & mood disorder. She's almost 17, and has had her verbal tick for a couple years now.

bethmoore71
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:13 PM

My DD's pediatrician was even phased when I mentioned the tick that had started. He asked DD to describe her tick, jotted a note, then moved on. There's a way to get rid of her tick, then? She tenses up, shivers, and makes a very loud peep on her breath inhalation. She can silence her sound, but the tensing up & shiver/shake is still noticeable. Real fun for a teenaged girl!

Quoting imamombygrace:

Not long at all. I would explain to my pediatricians nurse and see when they could get her in.

My DD has OCD and has a few ticks. Among those is pulling out her hair and an eye tick. It was addressed this past appointment. The earlier you catch the tics the better.

NearSeattleMom
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:40 PM

I'm not sure I'd be all that worried and three months doesn't seem unreasonable to me, but I can understand your concern.

Good luck!

Also?  I'd ignore the tic completely if I were you.

KandiceN
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:44 PM

DD had something of a tic for a while.. but we never brought her in for it.  I don't know how to explain it, but you know when people are sick and they kinda do a breathy groan.. well, she does that.  Just without thinking about it.  She does it when she's thinking really hard, or watching TV.. or sometimes just sitting out in the yard or whatever.  It's annoying as hell lol But we just ignored it pretty much.  She started that around 3.5 and by 4.5 its nearly gone.

I don't really think 3months is that bad.. if they thought it was something worse you'd be in faster.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)