Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Anxiety/ panic attacks

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:15 PM
  • 8 Replies

If you get them.....

what sets you off?

how do you calm yourself?

how often do you get them ?

do you take medication?

How long have you had this issue?

I ask because my Dr said that I have been having anxiety panic attacks at night and has me on sleeping meds now. But I also get them when I am around a bunch of people I dont know and have no one i know with me.

Usually when I go out to do grocery shopping or whatever I go as early as i can before it's crowded or i have to take someone with me or my chest tightens up, i start shaking and usually end up crying till i cant breath. My dr wants me to try some mental exercises before we do any meds. so far they arent working.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
sati769leigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:20 PM

I suffer from periods of time where i am HIGH anxiety. restless but unfocused with a sense of panick. i have only had one full fledge panick attack this year when  i had a car accident. a few years ago i spent a whole summer paralyzed by them. i could go nowhere and do nothing. with therapy and LETTING GO i learned to relax and typically now when my anxiety starts to go up too high i can usually relax myself out of the condition. as long as i am given some quite time

Melame68
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:22 PM

i have panic attacks. when i get overwhelmed with something. most often its my house being clean. my kids mess it up and if it gets too bad i get overwelmed and end up having a panic attack

norene
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:23 PM

i have GAD and so i have anxiety and panic attacks when i least expect them. but i have learned how to control my anxiety pretty well and it makes it a lot easier.

ready_for2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:24 PM

i used to get them, not over any specific reason, i would just suddenly start having them, or if i was in any stressful situation they would start. i tried medications (antidepressants just made it worse and made me depressed, since i wasnt depressed i just had anxiety) and antianxiety pills like ativan and xanax helped to stop the attack, but didnt really 'fix' the problem, just covered it up like pills do.

i eventually took a meditation class (not for the anxiety) but for school and it ended up curing me!! never had one in 3 years!! i 100% believe in and support alternative therapy over pharmaceutical any day!

BabyMadi
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:25 PM

I have been suffering with them since I was 9, I have been on every med out there and I have been stable before but not at the moment. My mind wandering is what sets me off, and sometimes the only way to calm myself down is to take one of my anxiety pills. Right now Im on Klonopin, Ativan, and Lexapro. They seem to take the edge off but im no where near stable. If you have any other questions you can always PM me. Gl and God Bless

misunderstood1
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:26 PM

i get them usually a trigger for me is a stressful situation like getting lost on my way to an appointment or something similar when I NEED to be somewhere at a certain time. Its a big part of the reason why I always give myself more time then needed. 

danilynn290
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:27 PM

I would have 4-5 anxiety attacks a week. I got so sick of it I finally called a hypnotherapist and suprise I haven't had one in 4 months.  A hypnotherapist can also help you with your anxiety about being around a lot of people too.

BonitaM
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:31 PM

I get them whenever I feel super stressed or cornered. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)