Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

AAAAHHHHHH!!!!!! LICE. HELP!!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:37 PM
  • 29 Replies

so my kids have lice.  my daughter has it really bad.  i did the first treaments this morning.  any helpful hints to help prevent reinfestation?  i can't i missed it.  she has been itching for weeks, but everytime i checked her scalp, i saw nothing.  this morning it was very clear, then i checked my son and he had a mild case.  UGH!!!  this is my first experience with it and they start school next tuesday.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
orcadarwin
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:39 PM

To keep the chance of getting lice down, put hair spray or gel in their hair.  Lice love nice, clean hair.  They can't grab on to hair that has something on it.

sierracarlisle
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:40 PM

whenever you treat the lice the "nits" are still there. (the eggs) you have to pick them out one by one! I had lice in 5th grade. I had THICK LONG hair and my step mom pulled them out one by one. The shampoos kill the lice, but not the eggs, so they will hatch still. Hope this helped you in some way!

momaof8
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:41 PM

bag up all stuffed animals and buy the spray to do their matresses and pillows.

momdee86
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:41 PM

join the club! school hasnt even started here either and my daughter has it. not sure where she got it..who knows! it sucks! but anywho, we treated her once and went through and got all the eggs(or at least thought) so i sat through agan for like 4 hours(breaks in between each small section) and picked out every little egg and buggie in her hair. then i used the lice shampoo and im going to recheck her hair again this evening. wash all your bedding,and get some lice spray for the furniture and that. eggs cant transfer, but buggies can. they say to bag up toys and stuff, so if you want to, do that or toss them in the dryer for a bit. just keep checking to make sure theres not even one egg in either hair, bc one egg can lead to one buggie,..you get the story.. ( i know most of this bc i had it numerous..ugh! times when i was younger)

emicek24
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:42 PM

I think they have some sort of spray you can buy for the bed and stuff, I've never had it, but I've seen stuff in the stores for it.  I'd look for some sort of detergent that could help too if they have something like that.  But definitely throw out your brushes and hair stuff!!

AnnaBright
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:42 PM
Treat them again in 2-3 days even if you don't see anything. Vacume vacume vacume!! My kids got it 2 weeks into school and missed a week to make sure we were rid of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ariesp19
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:43 PM

how old is she? we use tea tree shampoo, cause lice dont like tea tree......

Aichia
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:46 PM

wash everything & bag it up as soon as it is clean to keep it from the stuff you stil have to wash. empty your vacum cleaner bags out side regularly. Spray the beds & pillows. If your daughter has long hair I would recomend cutting it to help not hurt her head so much with the nit comb. I don't remember if bug bombs work on them or not. Used to get them all hte time as a kid it's a pain but if you don't jump on it now it will never get under control.

mrimli

she's 8.  we use fairy tales rosemary repel shampoo and conditioner, but we ran out during the summer.  i thought i'd be safe til school started.  guess not.

Quoting ariesp19:

how old is she? we use tea tree shampoo, cause lice dont like tea tree......

momintraining02

I have dealt with it twice and my dd has waist length hair.......

Buy Lice Free Gel.

Use metal combs

Wash all bed sheets, towels that have been used, etc.....bag up any and all stuffed animals etc that cannot be washed and put them in the garage or somewhere for a few weeks.

Vaccuum and spray beds and furniture....after you vaccuum throw out the bag or dump the bagless container in the trash can outside.

Follow directions on box of lice remover......and do not skimp----take as few strands as possible and go from root to tip checking for lice and eggs........wash the hair and go thru again with the metal comb....then I run the flat iron thru the hair.....I cry when this happens--it is no fun at all---good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)