Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Did I do the right thing or should I have just driven away???

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:49 PM
  • 28 Replies

So, my DF & I went to go run errands this morning. As I was turning onto a side street by our house I see 2 little boys (maybe 7 years old) playing in the road. I slow down to wait for them to get out of the way and one of them just stops & stands in front of my car!!!! So I wait for a few seconds & he doesn't move. So I pulled over to the side of the road & ask the boys where they live. The boys pointed to a house so I get out of my car, go knock on the door & inform his grandmother (his mom was sitting in the kitchen) of what he was going. She was glad I told her & said that I am not the first person to come to the house & tell her that!!!! Why can't people watch their children???? Did I do the right thing or should I have left it alone?????

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sati769leigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:50 PM

50/50 7 years old is old enough to be playing outside the front of the house for most folks. but the kid was being a brat

super_mom_5
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:54 PM
i would have done the same thing. My girls play out in the street but they know when a car comes down the street (which is rare) they better get out of the street. If they didnt they would be grounded from outside for a few days. They know how serious i take that and how dangerous it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HippieMom78
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:54 PM

BUMP!

CosmicPossum
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I played in a shared driveway as a kid.  The Mail truck also used the drive to deliver our mail and the neighbors.  I was taught from an early age to get back in the yard if I heard ANY vehicle approaching.  Seven years old is old enough to know better.

gulfcoastmom4
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:56 PM

I would've kept going.

LilDsMomma
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:58 PM
I think you did the right thing. I was driving down the road one day and there were these 3 kids playing basketball in the middle of the road. I slowed down to a complete stop to wait for them to move and they just looked at me and continued playing! I was beyond pissed and rolled down my window and asked them to move and they just looked at me like I was crazy. I finally honked at them a few times and they moved..wish I would have thought to ask where they lived. They were a bit older though, probably closer to 13ish :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HippieMom78
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:00 PM

The worst part is that is not a very busy street BUT it is right off of a freeway exit. People almost NEVER slow down on that street!!

Kenre
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:01 PM
Somedays I think they just all need to be hit. It's common sense by that age to move when a car is coming. Gods, as a child, if I didn't move when a car came down the street we were hit by the car. They never slowed down where I lived.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilmoosesmom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:04 PM

yes. They need to be told that they can get hurt. What happens if next time they get hit...

thisloveofmine
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:08 PM

you did the right thing

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)