Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm throwing her toys away!!!! PIOG update

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:25 PM
  • 115 Replies

I need some advice on how to get my dd to clean up after herself. I have been working on her picking up after herself for over a year and she still will not pick up her toys. And I'm starting to get to the point in my pregnancy where bending over just isn't an option any more.

Arilynn is 3. She will be turning 4 in December.

Edit-

Well this is what I told Arilynn as I was putting her to bed tonight. I told her that the clean bedroom troll heard that her Mama had been trying to get her to clean her room for 3 days and she didn't do it. He didn't think that it was fair of her to make her mama do it. So from now on he will be coming to check on Arilynns room every night while she is asleep. And when he comes in her room if any of her stuff is on the floor and not put where it belongs he will take all the stuff  to his house until he sees that she can pick up after herself. I also told her that he will come every night until she no longer has any toys to play with or she learns how to be a big girl and keep her room clean.

I don't think that she believed me. But when she wakes up in the morning and sees that her room is clean and that he left her a picture of the bag with all of the toys that she left out. I'm sure she will cry but maybe she will do a better job tomorrow night picking up her stuff so he will not take her stuff.

In a few weeks if she starts doing a better job of keeping her room clean I'll start giving her a few toys back at a time. I have a basket that I keep in our spare bedroom. I think that once its time to start giving some toys back I'll set the basket up in her room and tell her that if she does a good job the troll will leave a few toys in the basket when he comes to visit. But ONLY if she does  a good job of keeping her room picked up!

I showed her the picture when she woke up this morning. She wasn't happy but she didn't throw a fit because she knew it was going to happen if her room wasn't cleaned before bed. But she did say that "Mommy I'm going to keep my room picked up. I don't want the troll to take any more of my stuff." So for now it looks like it is working.

She is not scared of the troll. She thinks that it is the one off of Dora. And I don't make him scary for her. I know the type of stuff she is scared of and I would never use it to punish her or teach her a lesson. When everything else that I tried failed I had to come up with something that my daughter would understand. And I think this is it.

Pregnancy%20ticker

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kristy0833
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:27 PM

this is prolly gonna be the unpopular answer but my son (the same age) was like that.. we started giving him a allowance.. he gets a new DS every few weeks if he picks up his toys with out throwing a fit, going to bed with out hassel, and beign a good boy.. hahaha seriously tho it worked like a charm

ddhb2007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:29 PM

I would do a behavior / chore chart.  Each day she does her "chores" she gets a sticker.  Once she has "x" number of stickers she gets a small prize. 

baby_pumpkin523
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:36 PM

BUMP!

cherrycheri
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:38 PM

I made my daughter a job chart with brushing her  teeth, picking up her toys, and taking a bath. Each night before bed I let her put stickers near what she did today. She is picking up her toys with out me saying anything. She is 3 oh and by the end of the week I buy her a cheap toy or treat her to ice cream or something like that. GOOD LUCK

baby_pumpkin523
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:40 PM

I tried the chart thing and she still wouldn't do it! She is a very hard headed little girl

Quoting cherrycheri:

I made my daughter a job chart with brushing her  teeth, picking up her toys, and taking a bath. Each night before bed I let her put stickers near what she did today. She is picking up her toys with out me saying anything. She is 3 oh and by the end of the week I buy her a cheap toy or treat her to ice cream or something like that. GOOD LUCK

Pregnancy%20ticker

cherrycheri
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:42 PM

If I were you get a trash bag and threw her toys in there act like you throwing it away outside and when she goes to bed hind the bag for a couple of days or weeks, maybe then she will learn..

Quoting baby_pumpkin523:

I tried the chart thing and she still wouldn't do it! She is a very hard headed little girl

Quoting cherrycheri:

futureshock
by Emerald Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:47 PM

I cannot believe you are trying to make a three year old clean.  Are you kidding? 

baby_pumpkin523
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:48 PM

That is what I am going to do this time to see if it works. But if it doesn't I'm at a loss and out of ideas.

Quoting cherrycheri:

If I were you get a trash bag and threw her toys in there act like you throwing it away outside and when she goes to bed hind the bag for a couple of days or weeks, maybe then she will learn..

Quoting baby_pumpkin523:

Quoting cherrycheri:

Pregnancy%20ticker

luv2wahm
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:50 PM

Maybe you have too many options out for her..if so get some storage containers..only keep out 4-5 toys on a shelf or somewhere she can reach..pack up the rest of the toys. Every couple of weeks rotate the toys out. Sometimes lack of clean up is simply because there is so much, and it becomes overwhelming.

KimmyShaw
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:50 PM

If my 3 DD doesn't want to clean them up, I start taking them away and she can earn them back. They are old enough to clean up their toys.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)