Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SO angry! First day of work did not go so well.

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:43 PM
  • 12 Replies

Background ~ Im an elementary PE teacher.  I taught in one school for 8 years and went out on a 1 year extended maternity leave.  During that time they switched me to another elementary school due to enrollment.

So anyway, LAST Monday the 23rd teachers were able to get into their classrooms and start setting up.  Its great because you can do a little each day.  It gave 2 weeks to the start of the school year.  Well, my DH switched schedules for the next 2 weeks so he could help me out with the kids until our childcare starts.  Two weeks ago I was going in with all the teacher and the secretary who is so sweet tells me I cant go in the gym because of the floor being done!  Seriously, why not do it in June or July or even the beginning or August!  They wait unti NOW!  So whatever, Im fuming but play it cool.  She tells me I can come back next week on Tuesday (which is today)

So today I go in and I bring my sister to help being that I lost a week of setup etc.  The woman who was there who retired last year was there for over 30 years and there are things from the 70s!  Old rotting equipment, filing cabinets that havent been touched in years.  Anyway I go in today.  Secretary is awesome. Tells me I can go into the gym and gives me my keys. 

I get there and the doors shut and it says WET FLOORS.  Stay Off.  Thank you.  I figure since she told me LAST week they were doing it, it was an old sign.  WRONG!  I go in and am almost overcome by fumes.  I touch the floor with my finger and its wet and sticky! UGH!!!! I cant access my equipment closet, or gym.  I cant get to the outside doors to open them because the floor is wet.  UGH...

So I go to ask the secretary when I can go on it.  She had no idea it was wet.  Tells me to at least ask custodians for a fan.  They were SO MEAN to me :(  I wanted to cry LOL  I was leaving my 3 kids to come in and do this.  I was leaving my baby for one of the first times.  All I was, was nice. They told me I shouldnt have walked on the gym floor!  DIDNT I SEE THE SIGN etc etc.  Didnt give me a chance to explain, didnt give me a chance to even tell them I HADNT walked on the floors.  Then they went and checked it, like I destroyed my own damn floor!  UGH... They poked their head around the corner and basically yelled at my sister and asked her HOW DID YOU get in the office!  DID YOU WALK ON THE FLOOR!  No, we entered through the hallway entrance. 

Then I asked them if I could borrow a fan just for today and they basically went off on me again.  Wouldnt even LOOK at me!  I get along with everyone.  This is NOT a good start!  They said they had NO fans for me.  Meanwhile there were a couple around the room not even on! (Maybe they were broken but by his tone who knows.) I cant remember word for word what he said but he was so nasty!  :(

So the principal walked by and asked how it was going and I told her I cant access the gym because the floors wet and I cant access my equipment closet that goes through the hallway because there like 50 boxes filled with library books in there and the custodian goes, "No, try 17 boxes!" In my closet!  Now how am I supposed to teach if I cant even get to my equipment!!! No end in sight and the principal who I think didnt grasp how bad it really was said theyre taking about 10 boxes a day out of the closet.  Nooooooooooo..

I could go on and on!  Only 2 more days until I have students!What am I gonna do :( 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bupkie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:02 PM

I guess, you have to make the best of a horrible situation.... At this point, it's like a comedy of errors!  Can anyone say Nantional Lampoon's Beginning of School?  

I'm so sorry things are going so crappy!  It sounds just like what I would expect to happen to me.... High hopes, jump through hoops to get DH to watch the kids because of his schedule.... and finally just when you think it's going to be okay.... WHAM.... IT SEEMS THEY COULDN'T GET WORSE...    I feel for you.   Hugs!    (I wish I could help!)  And I hate mean people!   Want me to go over there and smack those mean janitors with a rubber spatula?    Cuz I would..... good 

I'm not a teacher, and don't have any advice.... Other than... maybe ask one of the other teachers there and see if they have any suggestions for you since you are new and you are having a rough start....  It really stinks that the building isn't ready, and you are being thrown into a "mess" and expected to "clean it up"....  I know you want to do a great job for the kids,  But hang in there... make some lemonade...  

Hugs!!!!   (And when you see mean people, picture me slapping them!)  LOL!!!!  

angellove29115
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:05 PM

Look at the bright side.  You will have a beautiful floor for your students.

bupkie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Quoting angellove29115:

Look at the bright side.  You will have a beautiful floor for your students.

With lots of nice rusty equipment to use on it!  :P  (Sorry, I'm full of sarcasm on that one!)  

Bupkie.....

*** My philosophy on sharing info is that it's just free info (not advice) so please take it or leave it. If it fits great! If not, leave it on the ground and dance on it for fun!!! :) ***dancing

FDNYwife
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:13 PM

LOL Really, just bummed they were SO rude to me.  I walked in trying to get on everyones good side LOL and they didnt even give me a chance.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:16 PM

sorry sounded like the custodians need to get the stick out of their ass!! LOL

i.heart.rachel
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:20 PM

Oh man. I'm SO sorry!! Luckily you don't need equipment right away since you're a P.E. teacher. Just do things that don't require equipment at first??

chalisa0
by Kim on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM

Oh no.  I'm so sorry. Our gym was redone at the end of last week and we couldn't access it for a fund raiser on Sat.  Our school starts tomorrow (Wed).  I totally agree with you.  Why the heck didn't they do them in July???  I hope you have a great school year-you really seem to like your job-good luck!!!

fallnangel3
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM
That would be so frustrating! I hope tomorrow is better and you can at least get something done!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FDNYwife
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM

LOL If I HAD to.  As of now the kids cant even step into the gym.  Thinking it will be dry by then though.  But this is the time I have free to set up all my bulletin boards, posters, organize closets etc.  All the other teacher get like 20 days on me.  How is that fair?  Now I have to do it after school?  Its hard enough to get people to watch my children DURING school hours and now I have to figure out after too?  Its just the point.  They would never pull ANYTHING like this to a classroom teacher. 

BTW in the past they would not let the PE teachers open their gym doors because the classroom teachers were getting sick from the smell.  WHAT ABOUT THE PE Teachers who dont even have WINDOWS!

Isnt it also funny that the only room where children run and sweat in is not allowed to open doors to the outside because of security reasons and dont have windows or A/C yet the classrooms do?

Quoting i.heart.rachel:

Oh man. I'm SO sorry!! Luckily you don't need equipment right away since you're a P.E. teacher. Just do things that don't require equipment at first??

FDNYwife
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 7:24 AM

Take 2!  Wish me luck!  I hope the floor is dry enough to be walked on!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)