Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you know anything about pork allergies?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:26 PM
  • 8 Replies

I work at a daycare and a new little boy just started.  He has a pork allergy.  While speaking with his mother she mentioned that he has an Epi pen for his allergy.  She explained that he will quit breathing if he eats pork. 

My problem is that the director is blowing it off.  I know how extreme some allergies can be.  I've read about nut allergies and the reactions to look for, from small reactions to extreme.  But does anyone have experience with pork allergies?  Can someone with pork allergies be near others eating pork?  How much contact is too much?  I'm not sure if my questions are stupid or if I'm overreacting...  But any help would be greatly appreciated!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Christinamm
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:24 PM

BUMP!

JennaInAlaska
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:26 PM

Ask the child's Mom. :)

MomX04
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I don't know about pork allergies to that extreme but I do know that several years ago something in pork changed.  My husband had no problem eating pork and it was a large part of his diet as far as meat went.  What ever changed caused him to get very ill every time he ate pork or something with pork in it, like collard greens or beans.

He would get severe migraines, gas, diarrhea, you name it he got it.  Even the smell of the pork makes him ill.  Now I refuse to bring pork into our house raw because I'm terrified to cook it and if I get bacon or ham it's the already cook version.  Any smoked meat we get is usually smoked chicken or turkey.

We have severely limited the amount of pork in our home because of his reactions to it.  I don't know where it came from but I don't want to tempt fate on how bad it could get.

Christinamm
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:32 PM

I will when I get the chance.  I was just hoping someone on here has dealt with this and could give me some info. 

Quoting JennaInAlaska:

Ask the child's Mom. :)

gracysmom2007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:33 PM

We have a child at our center with a pork allergy as well....any allergy has variations..there are kids allergic to things but can sit next to someone eating it....some are more severe and if they smell it they have a reaction...ask the mother how bad it is....she'll know her own son better than anyone else.....since he's got an epi pen it's probably pretty severe.

Anawan
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:35 PM

My husband has a pork allergy but he can actually still eat it.  He just feels light-headed and a little sick (he loves pork products so he'll eat them anyway).  He also has a lamb allergy which is a lot more severe.  Just being around pork and lamb does not affect him, it only affects him if he actually eats it, but I'm not sure if it can affect someone with severe allergies who needs an Epi pen.

Christinamm
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:37 PM

Thanks for your replies! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)