Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Potty Training...Spanking? Time out? Candy? .........

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:50 PM
  • 36 Replies

What methods do you use?   Do you spank if they go in their pullups/pants? Do you use candy or some form of bribe if they use the potty? Do you use time outs? Cheerios?

I need some new ways to help my son. (btw I am not really into the spanking thing just doing the 2 year old potty training) maybe if he was like 5 and just to lazy to get up.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sati769leigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:51 PM

i NEVER spanked during potty training. you are teaching your child a new skill  not PUNISHING THEM. but i resorted to bribery, books, cheerios in the water to aim for. in the end he REFUSED to give up the diaper till he was 6 SIGH

tnbjbeams444
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:52 PM

Why would anyone spank for that? That would be sad.

raegansmom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:53 PM

We bribed her with candy but we also waited until she was ready, for her that was a week after she turned 3.  She was literally potty trained in one day.  We had tried a couple times before then because I wanted her to be potty trained & we both ended up peed on & frustrated. 

NessaLovesEmma
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:55 PM

I waited until my daughter started to show interest. When I tried before, she refused. I'm glad I waited, she was potty trained in a few days. I didn't have to do anything to make her use the potty. She walked around in big girl panties that she picked out, had a few accidents. She never got in trouble for the accidents, I figured it was how she would learn that she wasn't in a diaper anymore. Good luck! She will be three in two weeks. I started potty training last month!

ddhb2007
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:58 PM
Why on earth would anyone spank over potty training? We used a reward system. Really, bribery works. There was a reward the first day she stayed dry. Then she had to go 7 days before she reward. Then it was 2 weeks. We put a sticker on the calendar every day she was dry.
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:58 PM

DD is 4 and still not completely ready.   I would never spank a child regardless of their age if they have an accident.  We are using the one big prize when she is completely out of diapers....She stays dry all night so we know she can do it.

masonsmommy107
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:59 PM
never spank or put in time out just tell him uh oh you had an accident we'll try to use the potty next time and i used m and m's if he pee peed he got one m and m and if he pooped he gots two and it works i had him south trained by his second b day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Love2Bugs
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:01 PM

IDK my child isnt ready. She is 2 1/2 im hoping she gets ready soon im getting annoyed with poopy pull ups lol. But i will reward with stickers or a small treasure box NEVER with food. And NEVER spanking or time outs thats only going to scare them and make them regress....

sati769leigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:02 PM

BUMP!

mamivon2
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Mine are older.I used to OOPS "shit" happen method. I told my kids: Kids this is the potty. Potty this is Justin and Jessica. If they had an accident I didnt say nothing just took the kid and told him it goes in here. We try again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)