Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son of a B*tch *Updated with email to Super...need your opinion on it* 2nd Update*3rd Update*Another Update Edit to clarify

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:40 PM
  • 120 Replies

My son (7 1/2) gets off the bus today and informs me that the bus driver grabbed a hold of his bookbag and started jerking him around saying, "sit here, sit here".

I had him tell his father to see if his story changed (when Bryce lies he can't ever keep his stories straight) and it didn't.

I asked him if he was the last on to get on (no), I asked if he wasn't listening or messing around (no), I asked if he was just being real slow (no)....he said he was only trying to follow the rules on the bus.

By this point I am irritated but trying to keep a level head.  I call the bus garage and of course the person I need to talk to is not in the office so I leave them a message.  I wasn't rude, I just told them what was going on and that I needed to know what situation prompted this before I say anything else to my son.

I was venting on my Facebook about all this and one of the mom's who I babysit for commented that her daughter saw it and that yes it did happen like Bryce said and Bryce didn't do anything.

Well, now I am fuming.  I can't think of any reason why a grown man would need to snatch my child by the bookbag and jerk him around.  I am not buying into over worked and under paid....it's only the 2nd week of school.

If the bus garage doesn't call me tomorrow I am calling the school board.

Mr. Arvon,

My name is Chasa *******.  My son, Bryce ********, attends second grade at Rosemont Elementary School.

He is one of the many students that take the bus to and from school everyday.

This evening after getting off the bus he informed me that the bus driver of bus 169, "grabbed my book bag, jerked me and kept saying, "sit here, sit here"."  I took him home without saying anything to the driver to discuss this further as I didn't want to jump to conclusions.

His father and I spoke with him multiple times about the incident and I can assure you his story never changed and it was visibly apparent that he was bothered by it...not scared but he couldn't understand why it was done.

We asked him if he was the last child to get on the bus and perhaps he was taking to long, he said that there were kids behind him.  We asked if he wasn't listening or was playing around, he said no.  We asked if he was just taking a really long time and he said, "No mom, I was just trying to follow the bus rules.  I wasn't doing anything wrong."

I called the bus garage but the person I needed to speak with was out of the office.  I did, however, leave a detailed voice mail and requested a call back.

One of the children that rides the bus with my son saw the incident occur and confirms everything my son has stated.

This truly concerns me.  While my son is in second grade this is his first year within the public school system as he has previously been homeschooled.  We chose to send him to Rosemont because we were continuously told that it was an outstanding school. 

However, we are now in a situation where we have to wonder if our child is safe to attend school (as he needs to ride the bus to and from) because of the actions of this driver.

I would greatly appreciate your help in resolving this matter.  Please feel free to contact me by e-mail or phone.

Thank you for your time,

Chasa *******

I got a call from the bus garage this morning.  Can't say I am all warm and fuzzy over it.

The guy said that he viewed part of the tape and that there's nothing on it but he would finish viewing it and call me if he found anything.  Then he added, "So, I don't know where he's getting this idea from."

He hesitate slightly when I informed him that another child saw the incident occur.

I do not believe the kids are lying.  They are not bad kids, they aren't trouble makers and they surely aren't vindictive.  Bryce has a lot of respect of his elders.  They also did not have time or opportunity to collaborate on their stories. 

My husband brought up a good point though...going on the kids' stories it is likely that it isn't on the tape because it happened under the camera.

I am still waiting to hear from the superintendent.

Nothing from the Super or the Director of Transportation.  I will be trying to contact the Super today...again.

So, I sent this email this morning...

Gentlemen,

Good morning.

I am writing to you as a follow-up to the e-mail I sent to you on Tuesday, August 31, 2010 at 9:17pm.

I received a call yesterday from the bus garage.  The gentleman who I spoke to (who's name I am not sure of as he was speaking so fast I could barely get a word in edgewise) informed me that there was nothing on the video tape that showed the bus driver jerking my son.  He also said, "So, I don't know where he's getting that from" which leads me to believe that he is chalking it up to my child lying and plans to take no further action.

This is rather upsetting.  Yes, I am aware that children can and do lie but I find it difficult to believe that a second grader and a first grader constructed this lie.  The children were not asked about the incident at the same time or even around one another (the child who witnessed it happening spoke to her mother about it hours later) and yet the details were the same.

I am also aware that the cameras do not show the entire but and since both children have stated that this happened as soon as my son got on the bus the it is more than possible that it occurred out of the view of the camera.

I would like to be contacted about the procedure from this point on.

Thank you for your time,

Chasa

At 12:58pm I received a call from the guidance counsellor of Bryce's school.  She was calling about the incident on the bus and wanted to put me on speaker phone.

She informs me that she has Bryce, the bus driver and the Director of Transportation in her office and that they just had a meeting about the incident on the bus.

I was shocked, I couldn't believe they would think that it was acceptable to put my child in a room with a bunch of adults he doesn't know to question him about the incident.  She, of course, informs me that Bryce wants to clarify what he said to me.  I am sure he does put in that situation.

She got rather rude with me when I question their procedure for such an incident (I find it completely inappropriate). She kept reiterating how serious this was....I would think if it were as serious as she was making it that they (for legal reasons) would want parents present.

She even went so far as to ask if I wanted to meet with the School Boards lawyer....not ONCE did I threaten a law suit.  Not ONCE was I rude or vicious.  I simply wanted to know what happened that day.

I tried to explain to her that I was questioning because I don't know and it makes no sense to me but she only about half listened.  She did say that she takes these situations (when people mess with other people's livelihoods) very personally and did apologize several times for talking to me the way she did.

She says they all have watched the tape (including Bryce) and that Bryce verified the boy that the bus driver turned around was him and none of them saw any "viciousness".  When I explained that another child described the incident at a separate time to her mother, she said there weren't any children near by to "see anything".  However, in the same breath she said that he did have to "talk to" kids in the back for talking...ok, so were there kids around or not.

She told me that I need to take what kids say with a grain of salt and said that I shouldn't have contacted the super or the Director of Transportation.  When I tried to explain to her that no one was contacting me or telling me anything and about how the guy at the bus garage treated me, she blew me off.

She had me in tears by the end of the conversation because she was being so nasty.   She asked if I wanted to meet with her and she was trying to "console" me by the end of the conversation.

I don't know what to do.  I believe what Bryce said and I know my son...he's a people pleaser (especially when it comes to adults)...he would tell you the sky was purple if that was what he thought you wanted to hear.  Not to mention that my husband is much harder and more likely to believe Bryce is lying then I am and even he absolutely believes Bryce is telling the truth.

Part of me want to pull him out but he loves his class and why should I punish him for he administrations actions.

I am more frustrated now then I was in the beginning.

*There seems to be some confusion about the meeting.  I was not called before or during it.  I was called after the fact.*

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sati769leigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:41 PM

go get em girl! that sounds like some BS

wickedfiress
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I would be pissed.

i.heart.rachel
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM

o..m..g

SweetlePea
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:42 PM

I would be livid

momcat437
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Holy cow!!  Sic 'em!!

LiesLiesLies
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:43 PM

Some people just shouldn't work around children. 

canegirl0700
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:44 PM

I would be pissed, go get em mama!

omgamomie
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Quoting LiesLiesLies:

Some people just shouldn't work around children. 

alexluck
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:45 PM

Yes GIRL do that. Nobody should be an ass to a child. Specially the bus drivers but then again some of them have very bad reputation for being mean

mom2_3blessings
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:47 PM

You don't put your hands on my children at all jackets backpacks anything I would be at the bus stop tommorrow along with calling the school board and reporting it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)