Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

did anyone ever deliver a 35-36 week baby? *update... I had my baby:)*

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:47 PM
  • 77 Replies

I'm 35 weeks, 3 days pregnant, and stuck at home on bedrest. I went into preterm labor last Thursday, got the whole way to 5 cm dilated, but labor just stopped. They sent me home, but I'm pretty much not allowed to do anything. Did anyone ever deliver a baby this early? Were they healthy and able to come home with you? What did they weigh? This little guy will probably be coming any day now, so I'm really curious about how he will be, and how much he might weigh. (my DD's were born at 37 and 38 weeks, so they were fine)

I started having contractions Saturday morning around 9:00. At 11:30, my water broke and we headed to the hospital. I was exactly 36 weeks. He was born at 6:47 pm, weighing 6 pounds, 15 ozs. He is doing great! He had a lot of mucus in his lungs, which caused him to have a little trouble breathing at first, but once he coughed it all up, he was great. We are both home now, and very happy:)

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MaMa2Azriel
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:49 PM

DS was 34 weeks, he had no preemie issues. He did have to stay in the NICU, but he had a birth defect.  They probably would have kept him a few days to make sure he was okay though.  Not taking your baby home the same day you leave is not the end of the world you know. 

armywifenmom09
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:50 PM
Dd was a 35 weeker. She was fine. Eight and a half pounds and was released before I was
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
crazynlove1207
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:52 PM

My daughter was delivered at 36 weeks. She had some issues from a strep infection but as far as size she was 6 pounds 7 ounces.

momof3inTN

My DD was just over 36 weeks - 36 weeks, 3 days. She was perfect. 6 lbs, 1 oz. Small, but none of my babies have been big. We were allowed to go home 6 hours after birth.

SamNStefanMommy
Well my oldest was a 34 weeker. I went into labor at 33 weeks but they were able to stop it for a few days. While I was on hospital bedrest (7cm so couldn't go home) they gave me steroids for his lungs. So when he was born at 34 weeks 3 days he was perfectly healthy. However, my cousin was born at 36 weeks and had no steroids. He ended up needing respiratory support for almost 2 weeks. So it really depends on the baby and whether any treatments are/are not done. Some 36 weekers are perfectly healthy while others will be sick. I hope your baby is fine. Good luck mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ginger813
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:53 PM

Quoting MaMa2Azriel:

DS was 34 weeks, he had no preemie issues. He did have to stay in the NICU, but he had a birth defect.  They probably would have kept him a few days to make sure he was okay though.  Not taking your baby home the same day you leave is not the end of the world you know. 

I realize it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be pretty upsetting to me, as I'm sure it is many other mothers. Thank you for the info.

katzmeow726
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:53 PM

My twins were 35w4d.  DS did have some rapid breathing at first, but only spent one night in the NICU.  DD went straight to newborn nursery.  They wanted to keep them until they could regulate their temps a little bit better, but that was the day after I went home.  They only had to stay one extra night!  We had a little issue with jaundice, but I fixed that by putting their pack and play/bouncers by the window during the day, and having them out in the afternoon sun for 10-15 minutes!

lakens_mommy
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:54 PM

I had a 34 weeker (5 lbs 6oz), she stayed in the NICU for a month. I had a 35 weeker (6lbs) and he stayed in the NICU for 3 weeks. I also had a 36 weeker (6 lbs 14 oz)and she was perfectly healthy.

Did you get the steroid shots for his lungs?

jessandjonah
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:54 PM
I was on bed rest for ten weeks and in preterm labor seven times. He was born at 36 weeks. 7lbs 12oz (he was so big due to being given steroids during labor scares) I was 100% bedridden. The doctor said he needed to be at 37 weeks but they couldn't stop my labor anymore. He was healthy except for jaundice and a hydrocele. He will be three in two weeks :) good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzmeow726
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:55 PM

It is very upsetting and hard, and mine only had to stay one night.  But a very wise nurse talked me in to going home that night.  I'd had a ROUGH week with everything.  I was able to eat what I wanted, relax, and sleep in my own bed for the firs ttime.  it was the best nights sleep I'd had all week...which is good because it's been almost a year and a half and I still don't get much sleep sometimes LOL.  It was hard to let go, but going home that night was a good decision

Quoting ginger813:

Quoting MaMa2Azriel:

I realize it wouldn't be the end of the world, but it would be pretty upsetting to me, as I'm sure it is many other mothers. Thank you for the info.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)