Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms in hurricane prone states....

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:52 PM
  • 17 Replies

Do you think those of us on the EAst coast have anything to worry about?
Any suggestions?
I am on the Delmarva peninsula, I am not sure how far inland I am, it's about a 20 minute drive to the beach.
I have bad anxiety attacks normally, so I know some of my anxiety I am feeling is from that, but I am tore up over this!
I want to leave the state tonight, lol.
DH is telling me I am crazy, all the locals are saying it's going to be nothing but some wind and rain, but I am terrified! I have never really been through a hurricane and when I think of it, I think of Katrina and flooding entire 2-3 story houses to the roof!
I live in a 1 story house!
Calm me please, lol!

Group Owner of Crunchy Mama Contests!

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sumhchik
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Not sure if this will help you but I'm in the National Guard and everyone in my unit was just told that we are to be "ready and waiting" for the time we get called up to help out with this hurricane. I live in eastern NC and personally have never dealt with this type of thing (i'm from Chicago) so I guess we'll see?

LoriAnn87
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:55 PM

It's always to be safe then sorry.

shajdinyak
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:56 PM
Not sure but we just cancelled pie Thursday night vacation at outer banks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shajdinyak
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:57 PM
Sorry our not pie.lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marshakay
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:58 PM

not all hurricanes are like katrina. they are not normally that strong. take a deep breath, relax. a hurricane is only wind and rain. yes they can damage property but so can tornadoes. i honestly think you need to calm down. and unless you get orders to evacuate stay calm. they won't have you evacuate over something that looks wimpy.

oh i live on the east coast of florida

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:59 PM

You are in Delaware right?  You should be fine.

BabyinAug08
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:59 PM
I live in florida. During 2004 I lived in jacksonville and we were hit back to back. We had no power or running water for almost two weeks. Nothing was open. We ate things like peanut butter sandwiches, dry cereal, some canned items heated on the grill. It was the worst I have ever experienced. Just keep an eye on the news. They will say what areas are recommended for evacuation.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
canegirl0700
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:59 PM

I would say anything that is a cat 2 or higher I would get the hell outta dodge. I live in Florida and if anything cat 2 or higher was projected to hit here I would say see ya! It is better safe than sorry.

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:01 PM

Right now they are just saying they have no flippin' clue what to expect, it's not comforting at all!
They are saying in the "worst case" it will go west and cause "historical damage"
I know I need to calm down, I am trying, but under normal circumstances I get anxiety attacks over nothing at all, so now that there is something I am a mess, lol!

Quoting marshakay:

not all hurricanes are like katrina. they are not normally that strong. take a deep breath, relax. a hurricane is only wind and rain. yes they can damage property but so can tornadoes. i honestly think you need to calm down. and unless you get orders to evacuate stay calm. they won't have you evacuate over something that looks wimpy.

oh i live on the east coast of florida

Group Owner of Crunchy Mama Contests!

_Bamaborn_
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I would say make sure you have some basic things handy.. like flashlights.. check the batteries.. you know just basic common sense stuff in case the power goes out.. I live in south Ga and we lost power for a week here after faye.. It was a rough night with the wind and the rain.. but we made it through.. You will too.. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)