Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

are they allowed to say you can't pray?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:15 PM
  • 22 Replies

My husband and I are humanist(philosophy with an atheist backing).  However a good friend of ours Shawn(you may have heard about him in the past from other posts) has gone into a group home because of a mental illness.  He is a strict Catholic and we respect that and have always been okay with him praying before he eats and such.  However at this group home run by the state I am disturbed to hear that he was told by the people in charge that he was not allowed to pray at the table that it offends people. 

Now I would maybe understand if he was jumping up and down shouting, "Praise the Lord!"  That could be disruptive. 

When Shawn prays before he eats it is a simple head bowed hands folded and he mumbles something to himself.  Nothing more than that. 

Is it legal to take that right away from him?  I know it is illegal to force it upon someone but to take it away.  That is like saying a child can't pray in a public school.  I didn't think that was allowed. 

If I wanted to bring this up to someone who would I bring it up with?

I sometimes come off mean/rude, please don't be offended I really am trying to be nice.
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sati769leigh
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:16 PM

NOPE its not legal

activitymode
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:17 PM

BUMP!

kitty8199

No, they can't do that.  1st amendment right is freedom of religion.

.kk.
No, you cannot tell a person not to pray. However, what kind of home is this? it's possible that they are worried about his safety. Perhaps he could eat somewhere away from the group and have a chance to bless his meal.
StructuredChaos
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:18 PM

It is illegal to stop someone from practicing religion.  As long as he is not pushing it upon others, he cannot be told he cannot pray.  They can ask him to pray in a designated area, or maybe he could ask to pray in his room before meals?  I think it's silly.  Who cares if you pray at the table???

ReachtotheStars
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:19 PM

It is a home for mental disturbed individuals and drug abusers.  For example Shawn is bi-bolar because his mother messed up his Parkinson's medications.  That is why he was in the hospital.  He is getting better now but at first he thought he was superman. 

He is 27. 

Just_Bethy
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:20 PM

That's terrible..as someone who sufferers from mental illness..I can tellyou how detrimental it is to him not to be able to lean on his Faith and stick to his routine...I am sure this can't be legal..I would talk to the head of the home...(However..people in places like that...He might have been told by a patient who has no authority or he might have taken a comment to seriously as he is vulnerable right now...could just be a mis-communication)

WLJ23
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:21 PM

That is so wrong! I can understand if the home isn't leading prayers or requiring that tenants pray...ect., but to say that a person CANNOT pray? That is a violation of 1st amendment rights. I think that home needs to be reminded of that.

n03z07l08
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:22 PM

No they cannot tell him that he cannot pray! As long as hes not forcing his beliefs on others he has his freedom of religion. I would first be in contact with the director odf this group hme, then Idont knw where from there.

prego7386
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:24 PM

in public schools they have a "moment of silence" in the morning to do with what you want. i dont know though if they actually HAVE to offer that or if its just something nice they do. maybe call a lawyer...there are a few online that will give you free advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)