Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 10 yr old is hearing voices!

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:17 PM
  • 20 Replies

Ok, so this is news to us. My dh and I were telling our 3 children about dh's uncle who became schizophrenic after abusing drugs when he was younger. The whole converstation started when we began to talk about why they should not do drugs. We were telling them that he would hear voices and think they are real and talk to the voices. Anyway, my 10 yr old SD  who has always been a mystery child with unusual behavior suddenly  tells us that she hears voices too. She says when she is in bed she hears voices threatening her! She sounded dead serious too, she also says she hears footsteps. Now, dh and I were of course freaked out but we still arn't 100% sure that she is telling the whole truth. We just don't know what to think or do. Does anyone else have a child with schizophrenia? If so what are some signs to look for?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krookmom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:20 PM

I would explore more into the paranormal side before jumping straight to schitzophrenia. Ask her if the things frighten her. If the voices sound like they are in the room/house, or in her head.....things like that. But don't probe her to the point of pushing her to give answers you want. Its a fine line....good luck!

megannowinski8
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:22 PM
Maybe u.should take her to a shrink... bc if there's something wrong the sooner u catch it the better... my 3 yr old DD has told me things about my mom that she could never know btw my mom died.in 2001 and like I said my DD is 3. However I know this sounds weird but special gifts tend to run in my family....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alotta_fagina
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:22 PM

I don't have personal experience with this but i've studied schizophrenia quite a bit. First of all drug use doesn't in itself cause schizophrenia. in fact drug use is started to deal with the schizophrenia. (that is until others notice there's a problem).

Given family history and the fact that the earlier its detected the better...get it checked out for sure. the psychologist will be able to determine if shes' making it up. i know its terrifying to think that there could be something mentally wrong with your child, but the sooner its dealt with the better. it can creep up that young but usually its in adolesence 

megannowinski8
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:23 PM
If u want more examples and info message me... don't push the parinoraml side out just yet...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
StructuredChaos
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:24 PM

For it to be Schizophrenia it would have to effect her ability to function in daily life.  If you are worried have her speak to a councelor, it can't hurt!

alotta_fagina
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:26 PM

at first it will not start this way. at first, hearing "voices" and the start of paranoia is how it goes, 

Quoting StructuredChaos:

For it to be Schizophrenia it would have to effect her ability to function in daily life.  If you are worried have her speak to a councelor, it can't hurt!

CafeMom Tickers

CafeMom Tickers
missdani08
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:26 PM

shes probably psychic if you want more information (i specialize in crystal children) pm me :)

rocknmom85
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:43 PM

Yeah, I asked her if they sound like they are in her head or outside voices and she says that she can literally hear them as if someone were talking. She says they are saying not so nice things to her, almost like threatening her.

Quoting krookmom:

I would explore more into the paranormal side before jumping straight to schitzophrenia. Ask her if the things frighten her. If the voices sound like they are in the room/house, or in her head.....things like that. But don't probe her to the point of pushing her to give answers you want. Its a fine line....good luck!

bbmkfo03
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:43 PM

I agree with this. Drug use doesnt necessarily cause Schizophrenia but can mimic the symptoms of it. There is such a thing as drug use inducing symptoms of a mental illness. However if there is any family member with any type of mental illness (depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, etc) then it can be passed down through generations. Since you do have a family history I'd take her to a professional just to rule out mental illness. Like alotta said, the earlier it is diagnosed the better. Good luck.

Quoting alotta_fagina:

I don't have personal experience with this but i've studied schizophrenia quite a bit. First of all drug use doesn't in itself cause schizophrenia. in fact drug use is started to deal with the schizophrenia. (that is until others notice there's a problem).

Given family history and the fact that the earlier its detected the better...get it checked out for sure. the psychologist will be able to determine if shes' making it up. i know its terrifying to think that there could be something mentally wrong with your child, but the sooner its dealt with the better. it can creep up that young but usually its in adolesence 

rocknmom85
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:48 PM

Yea, that is just how my dh explains it, he says it was due to the drugs. Who knows which came first, but I always thought that schiz. was hereditary/ genetic. Anyway, we will definitely have to get her checked out. She used to see a psychologist for her behavior problems but didn't like it. She is diagnosed adhd and has learning disabilities. She is just really unique though, I have never met another child like her. It is hard to explain.

Quoting alotta_fagina:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)