Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How long can you go without pooping...before you should be concerned?? I had surgery 2 days ago.

Posted by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM
  • 28 Replies

I havent had a bm since saturday and I had surgery to remove my gallbladder on Monday, so I am on pain meds and have taken a few stool softeners....I emailed my doc but he hasnt gotten back to me.

Is this anything I should worry about?

Erin- A stay at home mom currently in online college working towards becoming an elementary school teacher. I'm a simple kind of mommy living a simple kind of life- Raising my family the way that works for me.

by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theycallmemom4
by Gold Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:46 PM

Keep taking the stool softners. When I had abdominal surgery, I had surgery on Monday and didn't have a bm until Thursday.

cinnabunch
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I always drank a bunch of Apple Juice. I would say if you hit the 4 day mark, call the doc but other than that...pain meds will do that to you. Drink lots of apple juice. Its like an immediate fix for me.

Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:47 PM
Keep taking your meds. After one of my surgeries I went two weeks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherrycheri
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:47 PM

It was 5 days after my surgery when I finally went.. Nothing to be worried about, I just had a apt with my dr about it  and he said it happens. Your body needs time to heal.

ILive4This
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM

I'm sure you went without food before and after the surgery, for a time.  Nothing to digest for a bit....you'll catch up.

NavyWifey122305
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:49 PM

do you have any swelling ? in your legs / ankles or feet?

Usually they want you to have a BM before you leave the hospital. Sometimes if as long as you fart they are happy.....

My last c section i didnt bm before i left but i farted so they said i was good to go.........didnt poo for a week and knees down were swelling....ended up having to get laxitves ( first poo hurt soooo bad) but once that one poo was out the swelling started going down after 3 days of lax's i was good.

NavyWifey122305
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Oh and my Dr said to take my pain pills with orange juice ( same with iron pills)  the OJ helps you poo better then apple juice

MomX04
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:51 PM

If you had gas pumped into your stomach it might take up to a week.

NoR_CaL_MoMmY
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Thanks ladies....I havent eaten much so I guess there isnt much to push out, I just dont want to get sick or something!!

I'm at 4 days and counting...I bet its gonna hurt lol

bluejupalex
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 6:52 PM

It's pretty normal not to be able to have a BM after surgery for a couple of reasons.  Any time the belly is opened up, the gut gets "irritated" for lack of a better word.  The bowel doesn't move for a while after that - usually a few days - no gas, nothing.  In addition, the pain meds will cause constipation.  Drink lots of water, ask your doc about Milk of Magnesia, and try to walk as much as possible.  I hope you feel better soon. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN