Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What would you do if you were babysitting and the baby ran out of formula???

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:27 AM
  • 686 Replies

Poll

Question: What would you do if you were babysitting and the baby ran out of formula? READ POST FIRST

Options:

Go buy some

Give breastmilk from the fridge

Nurse the baby

Give the baby juice

Give the baby cows milk

Call CPS

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 628

View Results

I was babysitting a 4-month-old yesterday and his mom was 4 hours late picking him up, in which time I ran out of formula. His formula was in a ziplock and there was a container in his big which I did not realize was almost empty.
I exclusively breastfeed and he was freaking out...After calling his mother several times unsuccessfully I gave him some expressed breastmilk. When she finally showed up she was FURIOUS. She said I should have bought him some with my food stamps and she would have paid me back. Well I thought about it, but I would have had to push her son and my daughter in a double stroller and my 2-year-old would have had to walk...at 10pm.

Mind you I was babysitting for free!!! For the second time this week! Now she has a long post on facebook about how breastmilk needs to be better regulated?

What would you have done??

by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyToEthan
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM

what a bitch.

i wouldn't be watching her kids for free anymore!

Do you have a BOY??   If so, come join us at RAISING BOYS!  It's a great group for mothers of boys of any age!  Hope to see you there!!   http://www.cafemom.com/group/336/

pretzelsmom
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:30 AM

none of the above...call the mother and tell her and let her decide...give baby water in meantime.  Under no circumstances would I ever give them breast milk or anything else without her permission.  I can understand her being furious.

cypris420
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I would have had a family member go buy some.  I don't know what I would have done if that was not an option for me.  You can't let a child go hungry...and you had the milk...

I wouldn't want someone giving my child breastmilk without checking with me first, but then again, I would never be 4 hours (!) late picking up my baby without being in communication with the caregiver. 

That's a tough spot to be put in. 

jillbailey26
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:31 AM

I would have told the mother that she should start packing extra formula for cases just like this.  If she's going to be late, then you have extra to compensate. 

I would also add that you tried to call her more than once and since she didn't bother to answer, you made a judgement call.  I know if my kids were at a babysitter's house and the babysitter called me, everything stops and I answer the phone.  You never know when it's an emergency.

When I babysat for a friend of mine, she would just bring the whole can of formula and we left it at my house for as long as I babysat for her.  Then I never ran out.  Suggest that to her, that way it's not something that is forgotten and you never run into this problem again.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

.thickie.thick.
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM

if i could drive (since you said you would have had to walk) i would have bought some and gave her the reciept. if that wasnt possible , i would have given juice. BUT since i FF , i would have gave him some of ours (if my child was still FF lol)

when i baby sit i make sure whoever it is - relative or not ... that i have a car seat , more diapers then i would need - as w/ wipes & a car seat. I actually had an extra infant seat in my home , my insurance company gave it to me , after i said i didnt need it , so i kept it for emergencies.

hinojoza0507
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:32 AM
Im on mobile and i would have pumped my breastmilk and just gave it to him in a bottle. Imo i wouldnt mind i u would do that to my child i mean if i left my baby in your care obviously i trusted you enough as a matter of fact i would be grateful you didnt starve my child . I dont think you did anything wrong maybe she shouldve called you beforehand she was gonna be late and kept in mind she didnt leave enough formula for her baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by Emerald Member on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM

Quoting cypris420:

I would have had a family member go buy some.  I don't know what I would have done if that was not an option for me.  You can't let a child go hungry...and you had the milk...

I wouldn't want someone giving my child breastmilk without checking with me first, but then again, I would never be 4 hours (!) late picking up my baby without being in communication with the caregiver. 

That's a tough spot to be put in. 

I agree with asking first, but she never answered the phone.  No matter what she decided, she would have been wrong.  As a FREE babysitter, she shouldn't be expected to go out and provide for the child on top of watching the child for free.  The mother of the child should be better prepared so things like this don't come up.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

massteria
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:33 AM

While I wouldn't be pissed if someone I knew was watching my kid and that happened.....it would have to be family or a VERY close friend.  I don't have an issue with the breast milk itself.  But I can understand where she was coming from.  She doesn't know what kind of things you ingest and what you eat goes to your breast milk.  If her child had an unknown allergy to something, you giving that child breast milk could have had a terrible outcome. 

In the future, just make sure you have a can of formula at your place for emergencies such as what happened to you.  On a side note...why the hell was she 4 hours late and you couldn't get ahold of her?  If you have been sitting for free I would be talking to the mom and getting her to sign something saying how much she is to pay you per week, and add in stipulations about drop off and pick up times as well.  4 hours late is just plain irresponsible as a parent unless there was some kind of crazy emergency.  And even then it is important to let your child care provider know if you are going to be even 5 mins late.

Phenomemom
by on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:34 AM

Okay...so not having enough formula was her bad, definitely. BUT I would also be furious if someone gave my child their breastmilk.

All that said, I would've went and picked up a small can of formula and had the mother repay me.

Kodysmommy928
by Jenjo-a-gogo on Sep. 14, 2010 at 10:34 AM

I would have fed the baby expressed milk. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)