Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Head start home visits - what do you think?

Posted by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM
  • 89 Replies

My DD goes to head start and I've had a couple issues come up already (in less than a week at school), but I haven't done anything because I don't want to start anything. But today, they handed me a piece of paper and said they scheduled a home visit for Friday. Didn't bother asking me what time was good for me or anything. Just scheduled it. I'm on the fence about the idea, but SO is pissed. He says it's an invasion of our privacy and just because we're "low income", doesn't mean they have the right to come into our home. If it was a preschool you pay for, you bet they wouldn't dare say they're coming for a home visit! Then he went on to say that they just think since we're low income, we must not know how to raise our kids and that's why they want to come and "check on us".

By the way, when her teacher handed me the appointment card, she didn't say why they were coming. She just told me that they have some questions to go over and it would take about 30 minutes.

What do you think?

by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 12:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gobimom
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 12:47 PM

I believe home visits are standard practice with headstart programs.  If you are using that program then you need to follow the rules of the program.  If you don't want home visits don't send your child.

I believe the visits are because many parents that are low income are also young and may need parenting classes.  Not saying all young parents do or that low income parents need the class but many do.

n03z07l08
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 12:52 PM

My son goes to headstart too. His home visit was before school began, all they did was bring him his bookbag with some supplies for at home (crayons, scissors etc) and some practice pages for us to do at home. They also asked him what his favorite thing in the whole wolrd was (to form lesson plans around) and asked me and his dad if we knew of any possible problems he woulds have at school and how she could handle them. They will do one at the end of the year too. Same thing when my oldest was in headstart.

It does not bother me one bit. They originally started doing this to "check up" on parents but now its more of a way just to raise in-kind which is very important. I dont understand why it bothers people really. My kids love there teacher coming over!

n03z07l08
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Yes every child in headstart is supposed to have 2 home visits a year. Noone is being singled out.

Quoting gobimom:

I believe home visits are standard practice with headstart programs.  If you are using that program then you need to follow the rules of the program.  If you don't want home visits don't send your child.

I believe the visits are because many parents that are low income are also young and may need parenting classes.  Not saying all young parents do or that low income parents need the class but many do.

ddhb2007
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2010 at 12:56 PM

If you want to have your child participate in the program, then you have to play by their rules. 

Are the rules different between a fee based preschool and a free one, absolutely.  Our preschool teacher would not be making a home visit.  However, Headstart was created to help low-income / at risk families improve their children's odds of being successful.  One of the ways to do that is to advise families on how to improve their home life as well. 

If you don't like it, take your child out of the program.

kanalee
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 1:21 PM

I think if you use the head start services/program you abide by their rules.... and it doesn't matter what you think they are saying about you and how you are raising your child. They have rules and regulations that they must follow.... if you or your SO are pissed, pull your child out of the program.

heather406
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Wouldn't happen.  I am a very private person, and I find something like that to fall into the category of "invasion of privacy".  Unless when you enrolled your daughter, you signed papers authorizing home visits, then no waaaay.  Call me paranoid, but I wouldn't allow it. 

ErikaM27
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Just do it. I mean what's the big deal it's helping you. If you have an issue with the time then talk to the teacher about it so you can maybe reschedule. If you don't like their rules don't use the program.

juansmommy
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM

your reading too much into it. All of them get a home vist, my son had one, they dont go through your home, you sign papers, they explaine what they will do with you kid etc, shoulda been done before hand, when we had mine they simply sat on my couch and talked very plesant very nice no biggie.

shawnalmil
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 1:24 PM

its part of head start, if u dont like it get you kid outta headstart,  they last like 5-10 minutes and they bring u all the papers that tehy need u to sign so u dont have to go in , THEY DONT look thru you house

Sarah993
by on Sep. 15, 2010 at 1:27 PM
My DD is in Title I preschool program for her speech delay and they do home visits 4 times a year. I am actually impressed that the teachers put that much extra time and effort into their student's life and education and don't find it insulting at all. If you want your child in a program like that you need to follow their rules and I am sure that these visits were discussed sometime before he began. I knew about them before I even enrolled DD.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)